Flavour Change In The Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dial90

Reaction score
Recently I brewed an amber ale that was fairly heavily dry hopped with amarillo. When I cracked the keg the beer flavour was fantastic and just what I had hoped for with the dry hopping. However, when the keg got down to about 1/3 full the flavour changed and the dry hop flavour / aroma departed leaving a rather ordinary tasting beer. The beer lasted about 3 weeks on tap.

Conversely, I tapped a keg of pilsner about 2 weeks ago. It used saaz hops exclusively, wasn't dry hopped, and the flavour initially was rather average. There is about 1/3 of the keg left now and the pint I just finished is tasting quite good.

Has anyone else expreienced this type of flavour change in kegged beer, and if so, is there a solution to make the keg retain the same flavour from first pint to last? (besides drinking it all in one night).

Regards

Gavin

Im experiencing this right now, I kegged an APA last week and it has gradually been getting better... its all part of home brewing.

Back