flat kit beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Sticksy,

I'd leave it in the fermenter for a few more days. To be sure that the fermentation has finished and the yeast has cleaned up after itself a bit.

Using the PET bottles 2 drops or a decent scoop of sugar should do it. With the next batch you could always experiment with varying amounts of sugar to see what works.

For them to carb up you want to leave them a good two weeks at around about your fermentation temp.

A fridge is the way to go. Ed

thanks for all that Ed!

I reckon ill leave it be till wednesday (6 day ferment) and check the SG every morning. I reckon I rushed it the last couple times.

I used carb drops in PET bottles, the beers are plenty fizzy but just taste a bit watery and the head retention is crap. ive stored them in the cupboard in the middle of my unit where the temp is most stable.

yeah im already eyeing off old taps and stuff at work for my future kegging project (im a pub manager) and loving some of the fridge and tap setup the guys here have! so im aiming high with the bling.

yeah ill hunt the "tree" after uni finishes up in a few weeks. provided the boss gives the go ahead haha!

so with the fridge/freezer it has to be working and the temp controller makes it only cool to say 18 deg or whatever, depending on the brew, so the fridge needs to be operational?

learning how to use hops will help my brews too. thanks for all the help!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

yeah the temp controller is just like some with a thermometer turning the fridge on and off at the wall for you. The freezer can "want" to get as cold as it wants but when our old mate flicks the switch off at the wall it doesn't have much say in that. If the temp control wants to take it to minus 20 (hypothetical example) and the fridge doesn't have the grunt or can't be turned low enough then the temp controller doesn't have much say. The colder the fridge/freezer will go on it's own the more you can vary it with a temp controller. Being able to smash it down to 0-1 degree can be handy.

Most temp controllers also have a heating relay which you can use for a heat pad/belt etc that will kick in if the temp is too low. For the next 6 months in Queensland that's unlikely to be an issue so focus on the cooling side for now.

would I need to get it to 1 deg if im only using it for ferment and bottle conditioning?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

For cold conditioning purposes, getting it to 1-2'c is pretty normal.

Sounds like the bug has bitten you hard... It'll do that ;)

Back