Flanders Red

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just plonked in some slurry of some ale yeast I had in left around. From memory it was 1007 and the bottles carbed up just fine. I'm sure US-05 re-hydrated up would do the trick. Quite possibly there's some brett or other critters alive in there which would carb it up anyway. No need for a wine yeast IMO. :icon_cheers:

Thanks Q!

Where are you sourcing your cherries?

Warren -

I drove out to silvan to the pick your own places, and managed to get there just as morello season was in full swing, brought back 6 kg at $12 a kg i think it was. A lot of places sell them frozen all year round, probably a good option as I freeze them anyway before adding them to beer.
Cheers
Q

While we're talking about fresh yeast at bottling, do you have to be careful if you're selecting a different strain to that used for primary fermentation? I'm thinking about the risk that a more attenuating yeast might push you in to grenade-land.

T.

In this case, pretty much anything that a yeast could consume will be long gone. If it's for a more standard ale or lager, it's certainly possible this could be an issue.

I've got a while to go yet, but this is how mine's going. You can see the stats on the sticker when I racked it into this carboy.
I'm quite disappointed that I didn't get a nice big pellicle. What you see is as good as it has gotten.
View attachment 24888

I will be brewing another later in the year, but aging it in a plastic carboy for a much short amount of time as it should sour quicker, and then blend the two together in a 50L oak barrel.
I really should go get me a turkey baster to sample how this one is going.

An update on mine. It's progressing along a bit more now.
IMG_0117.JPG

But it's nothing compared to my lambic. :beerbang:
IMG_0115.JPG

I just grabbed a random ale yeast when I bottled my FRA. I think it was something english. I cultured up a small starter - 200mls or something and added it to the bottling bucket with the sugar. The most important thing is to add at least some fresh yeast. I bottled a tester using just priming sugar without fresh yeast - 1 month passed and it was as flat as a tack.

My old ales almost finished so keen to try a flanders red type beer in the cube...

Ive got two strains of brett in stock, and im wondering, will I need to buy lacto or is it possible to get it another way? Like a sour mash or something??

I'd get the Roeselare yeast from Wyeast. It was out as a special release again recently and it's still available. I've made two batches from that mix and was pretty happy with it. I kept some of the dregs in the fridge for quite some time before re-pitching it on a second batch. I think the re-pitch was better than the first batch and I'm planning on a third batch whenever I have enough time. :)

Here's the info on that blend.

Wyeast 3763-PC Roeselare Ale Blend
Beer Styles: Lambics, Geuze, Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red Ale
Profile: Our blend of lambic cultures produces beer with a complex, earthy profile and a distinctive pie cherry sourness. Aging for up to 18 months is required for full flavor profile and acidity to develop. Will produce a very dry profile due to super-attenuative nature of the mixed cultures.

Alc. Tolerance 11% ABV
Flocculation variable
Attenuation 80%+
Temperature Range 65-85F (18-30C)

Cheers Stu but I was sorta hoping I could somehow avoid buyng a smackpack seeing as I allready have two different strains of brett to use... Was thinking a sour mash might work but im not sure really what to do? Doesnt grain have lacto in it? Could I just throw some grains into the fermenter??

If its not really possible will probably just do another saccro/brett beer again...

Cheers Stu but I was sorta hoping I could somehow avoid buyng a smackpack seeing as I allready have two different strains of brett to use... Was thinking a sour mash might work but im not sure really what to do? Doesnt grain have lacto in it? Could I just throw some grains into the fermenter??

I personally like lactic acid a heck of a lot more than I like acetic acid in my beer, and I've posted here before about my experiences with sour mashing. The short of it is - make up a starter from raw wheat, and perform the souring pre-ferment. That has all kind of gone out the window recently as I isolated what I think is a hop-tolerant, alcohol-tolerant lactic acid producing yeast from a commercial witbier. Given the chance, it ferments like the clappers, and this is truely a wonderful to have if you're into that sort of thing.

Had another sample from the fermenter tonight. The slow nature of the ferment has really given it a nice smooth flavour. Has a little bit more to go yet, but I think it's about time I put another one down for blending in the future. I'm really happy that it hasn't developed any off or infected characters since this is the longest I have ever kept a beer in the fermenter. This has been quite a worthy experiment.

You guys are truly Artisans. Think I need to broaden my boring brewing regime :lol:

Screwy

Thread resurection :)

Seing as i am having some time off brewing...... i might brew some beer :)

Flanders Red

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.40
Anticipated OG: 1.055 Plato: 13.55
Anticipated EBC: 27.6
Anticipated IBU: 14.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
45.5 2.00 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 1.038 7
22.7 1.00 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 4
11.4 0.50 kg. Weyermann Pale Wheat Germany 1.038 4
9.1 0.40 kg. Aeromatic Belgium 1.035 37
4.5 0.20 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 90
4.5 0.20 kg. Weyermann Carabohemien Germany 1.034 200
2.3 0.10 kg. Special B Belgium 1.035 310

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
24.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 4.90 14.5 60 min.

Yeast
-----

3763 Roeselare

I was going to do a primary ferment with US-05, but the Roeselare pack is only just 4 weeks old, so i am thinking of just smacking and pitching it strait up.

Or is there strong evidnece to say this isnt good?

Im thinking the blend is what it is, and i do plan to keep it in a fridge at 18 deg for the first month or 2 untill it cools right down.

now to start planning the Lambic.

I just dumped the swollen Roeselare smack pack straight in... no starter. Fired up ok, Fermented out,

straight up here too.

+2 on pitching as is Tony.
Also be prepared for some decent krausen initially - I foolishly fermented in a demijohn which resulted in a huge mess.
I would recommend reuse the slurry too on your next brew, I reckon it gets better each generation (read similar thoughts here on older threads too).
My cherry lambic was tasting very good prior to adding the cherries a few weeks back (rosealare used).

I was wanting to ferment and age all in the one vassel as i have read that the bugs like to feed on the dead yeast and any bad flavours they produce, creating complexity.

I might do it in the Carboy and ferment it slow and cool at 15 or 16 deg for the first few weeks to keep the mess down.

The roselare pack I got from CB is 7 months old - will that be alright to throw straight in?

Planning on brewing next weekend.

Latest posts

Back