Flanders Red Yeast Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgilks

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'll be brewing a Flanders Red in the next few days but want to know if I should pitch just the Roselare, dual pitch Roselare and some US-05 or primary with US-05 and secondary with Roselare. I'm looking for something similar to Rodenbach Grand Cru in terms of sourness so should I lean towards just pitching with a smackpack of Roselare?

Cheers,

David

I'm looking for something similar to Rodenbach Grand Cru in terms of sourness so should I lean towards just pitching with a smackpack of Roselare?

Yep. Tried both and found better results with just roselare... that is unless your smack pack is really old in which case you might want to co-pitch some US-05 or similar neutral yeast.

The first pitch of roselare is reasonably restrained in terms of sourness, it takes a fair amount of time to develop at sub 20 degrees with the first pitching.

Q

I'm by no means an expert (I have one fermenting, still a few months to go), but going off Brewing Classic Styles JZ claims his recipe leaves you with a flavor profile similar to Rodenbach Grand Cru. In his recipe he mashes high, ferments with Us05 (or equivelant) and pitches a pack of Roselare Blend. All of which I did with my beer. It makes sense to me as to my pallete a flanders red is not as sour as a straight lambic/gueze. I'd be interested in opinions/results of more experienced FR brewers too.

Beaten by Q.

The first pitch of roselare is reasonably restrained in terms of sourness, it takes a fair amount of time to develop at sub 20 degrees with the first pitching.

Q

Thats something I've been contemplating a bit lately as I intend to get another on the go as soon as the first is done. I was thinking I may split the next batch one with us05 the other with the straight Roselare. All depends on on the first one I 'spose. Still have a while to contemplate though.

When i made my FR, (which has been on roselare for 2 months so far)
I used us-05 to start with, fermented at 18-20deg for 5 days, when grav was about 1015/20, i transfered to big glass carboy and pitched the rosey,
its doing its funky pellicle thing and looks nasty! Should be a cracker in another 10 months.

Back