Flakes In Wyeast Packet - Still Viable?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I activated a packet of 1968 London ESB Wyeast yesterday morning by popping the internal nutrient packet in the activator / smack pack.

The yeast was manufactured April 2011 and as it was fresh, within less than 12 hours it was fully expanded.

Last night, to my surprise it seemed to have quite large flakes, similar to curdled milk if you were to add lemon to a cup of tea with milk in it.

I had not used this yeast strain before but when I noticed the flakes, I smelt it to see if there were any obvious issues with it. The yeast smelt different to some other yeasts, however it wasn't unpleasant and it didn't smell off.

Does anyone have any advice if this is something that is normal with this yeast or did I potentially get a dud?

I have attached a couple of picks of the packet, left over flakes and the left over nutrient pack.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

Roller

Wyeast_ESB_April_2011_005__1_.jpg

Wyeast_ESB_April_2011_003.JPG

Wyeast_ESB_April_2011_003.JPG

Wyeast_ESB_April_2011_002.JPG

Wyeast_ESB_April_2011_001.JPG

Completely normal for this yeast. nothing to worry about.

I've noticed that this yeast goes like the clappers then slows right down for the final couple of points. Makes an awesome clear beer. One of my favourites.

Cheers

Mayor,
Thanks for that - Awesome news - I have not ever had a Yeast that had such sizeable lumps in it but it, hence the question.
I had heaps of issues with the Ringwood Ale in the past which seemed to have stopped after less than 2 weeks (single activator packet made into healthy starter to ferment 42 liters) and even when leaving it for another two weeks the gravity didn't drop any further. I used yeast nutrients, supplied extra Oxygen to the wort and a number of times it just didn't finish until it got into the bottles and a few months later I had a rather dangerous surprise.
This could become my new preferred ale yeast.
While the larger lumps completely dissolved when I started the stirplate, even as I type this, I have all of a sudden got quite a few larger lumps floating by which weren't there a few hours ago. I suspect this means it is ready and wants to drop out of suspension.

Thanks

Roller

I suspect this means it is ready and wants to drop out of suspension.
Yes, it is likely that this yeast will be the most flocculant you have ever used, as you have noticed it will even flocculate on your stir-plate. :)

Back