Flaked corn alternative? ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjsyrax

Reaction score
Hi all, looking to make a brew that uses flaked corn/maize.

Problem is that my LHBS or other nearby (sth east Melbourne) don't seem to stock it. Can't find it in the eBay sellers either.

Are there any alternatives we can get easily here in Australia? I read about corn grist but also read it's hard to find here.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

You could use polenta, available from the supermarket.

OK. Must call them as I couldn't find it on their website. Would the polenta be 1:1 substitute in the mash?

I've used cracked corn a few times but found that you need to cook it before adding to the mash. The last brew I used it in I did a cereal mash and got great efficiency.

Polenta is a direct sub at a quarter of the price. Cook to a mush first using some reserved water.

Instant polenta? Recently I chucked some straight in the mash as I thought it had already been watchamacallitized. Was I mistaken?

Bribie G said:
Polenta is a direct sub at a quarter of the price. Cook to a mush first using some reserved water.
What he said.....................

That is all.

Screwy

++1 for Polenta - Cook it with lots of water, then right in the mash.

You will see all traces of it disappear!

Instant polenta might just work, I did it once and didn't get a starch haze. But it's easy to cook up and we all have a stockpot or two hanging around from our kit n kilo days. If you are anywhere near an Indian or Asian grocery you can pick Polenta up for as little as $1.50 a kilo.

Also, goes great as a side dish with Ratatouille, Italian pasta sauces. And a lot of South Indian curries as a rice sub.

Back