Fizzy Bottle Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snagler

Reaction score
G'day all, Im a long time viewer but yet not posted due to my questions answered in other posts (top site). Im relatively new to brewing and have a question Im hopeing someone can answer.
When I bottle prime (with dextrose) I often get fizzy head overflow from the bottle before capping, the beers when mature still taste good but the mess and time taken is a pain in the ass. I dont believe Im over priming nor am I bottleing early as my carbonation is just right. Any ideas or is this just normal?

G'day all, Im a long time viewer but yet not posted due to my questions answered in other posts (top site). Im relatively new to brewing and have a question Im hopeing someone can answer.
When I bottle prime (with dextrose) I often get fizzy head overflow from the bottle before capping, the beers when mature still taste good but the mess and time taken is a pain in the ass. I dont believe Im over priming nor am I bottleing early as my carbonation is just right. Any ideas or is this just normal?

Put the dextrose in the bottle first and then fill them up.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Welcome to AHB

Put the dextrose in the bottle first

Thanks, I have not tried that

I'm new to this stuff too and had the same problem (but I use sugar for priming). I mix the sugar into the whole batch before bottling but found that my bottles would fizz or bubble over as I filled them. I'd had to let them settle a bit, top them off a bit more, then cap.

Are you using a tap on the bottom of your pale? I found that if you push the bottle necks tighter into the outlet (practically sealing them) it slowed the beer flow into the bottle and reduced fizz, bubbles, and overflow. The bottles would get filled on the first try...

I'm not sure if this is correct though. If someone more knowledgeable can comment, I'd love to know. The devil is in the details, eh?

Try attaching a length of tubing to the tap outlet. It needs to be long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle. This avoids splashing the beer as you are filling.

There's also a springloaded gizmo available to seal the tube between fills.

Go the bottling wand.
I've tried adding the sugar afterwards and never had a problem...but each to their own I guess :unsure:
I've always added the sugar/carbo drops before.

GenBFiller.jpg

This is the beast.

I did a Coopers ginger beer kit earlier this year and I tried adding the priming sugar before and after with poor results either way. Pain in the a#$e ! I ended up writing off my box of 300 crown seals after spraying them with ginger beer as I lost the race to cap a bottle as the head sprang up :angry: It might be a good investment to keep some carb drops up your sleeve if things are getting too fizzy as the reaction time may be slowed with less surface area of the priming sugar.
Cheers
Doug

I did a Coopers ginger beer kit earlier this year and I tried adding the priming sugar before and after with poor results either way. Pain in the a#$e ! I ended up writing off my box of 300 crown seals after spraying them with ginger beer as I lost the race to cap a bottle as the head sprang up :angry: It might be a good investment to keep some carb drops up your sleeve if things are getting too fizzy as the reaction time may be slowed with less surface area of the priming sugar.
Cheers
Doug

Bottling wand - as pictured in a previous post. You dont want to oxygenate your beer when pouring it into your bottles. This little device sits at the bottom of the bottle and will a small push the beer goes in and fills from the bottom of the bottle. Never had an overflow using this thing! I thought these came with the starter kits? If not, best invention ever (keggers will disagree but not all of us can afford kegs).

Bulk priming - never done it but its on my to do list and from what i've read dextrose or malt is the may to go for the best head retention.

I've always just added the scoop of plain sugar or sucrose to each bottle before adding the beer and never had a problem, not in 10 years of HBing (10 years and still a kit man, how lazy am I?)

Cheers
DrSmurto

This used to drive me crazy. I'd say the biggest contributor was bottling straight after the 1 week or so primary fermentation. There was still loads of CO2 that wanted to come out and it would as soon as you put the beer in the bottle - sugar in the bottom or no, bottling wand or no. As soon as I started doing secondaries ( or even just leaving it in primary for another week or so ) bottling became a heap easier. No foam at all. :super:

I'm thinking if there's enough COs in the beer to froth out like that, it's going in the bottle, and will most likely result in over-carbonated beer. And if fermentation "stopped" that recently, there's maybe a little ways to go yet also which will make things worse. Actually - thinking back - I did generally have overcarbonated beer in those days.

And you get better tasting beer cause it's had time to condition. A win win! :beerbang: Only you gotta be patient :(

Yep thats what Im going the try next brew cowface, give it an extra week in secondary. Thanks for the suggestion

Back