Fish Tank Heater Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I use one. Works well. I have it fitted with its cable through the lid of one of my fermenters.

If you can, get a heater that works from 15*c..

I have used normal aquarium heaters , but they only work from 18*c and above... and that is to high for me

I have used them and never had any issues, just make sure you clean and sanitise them before putting in your wort.

There has been a fully immersed fish tank heater in pretty much every beer i have made in the last 5-6 years.

I put mine in so the bottom of the heater just rests on the bottom of the fermenter and its hanging upright in the wort... mostly anyway, sometimes its horizontal on the bottom.

I just put mine over the side - easy as i use gladwrap and a big rubber band rather than a lid and airlock. But i have mucked about with stoppers and sealing them in through a hole in the lid. That works too

The plastic bit at the top - take it off, stuff gets under there and presents an infection risk - with it off the heaters arent all that hard to sanitise.... Jug of sanitiser and immerse. Twiddle the temp control knob so sanitiser gets into the gaps.

The temps control on them is pretty good, not a lot of hysteresis. Pretty steady. They mit not be "accurate" and there fore yours might be set to 19 and give you a temp of 18.. But once you know its easy to make a calibration/compensation.

With a bit of camping mat as insulation and some imagination, you can ferment at ale temperatures in summer, by just putting a fish tank heater controlled fermenter inside a completely unmodified fridge. Yes, it will use a little more electricity, but then again you also dont have to run a second fridge as a keggerator/beer fridge because you fermentation fridge is still working normally, as is its freezer.

Cons: only good for temps in the 18+ range, i've never found one that controls at lower temperatures. Not much else, they work really well, or at least they do for me.

I'm with you TB. I brewed tens years ago with mine, not one infection, purchased from The Brewers Den. Back brewing with them now, touch wood, no infection.

I have mine plugged into there own temp controllers and in a old freezer keeps the temp spot on!

photo.JPG

@dazdog. I maybe a newb but I'm not dumb. The heater from my tank is still being used in
My tank. I brought $20 25 watt heater for the job

@ Thirstyboy. If it's good enough for you it's good enough for me.
How did you get the top cap off? I'm worried about forcing it and breaking the glass.

Sorry if I offended you. Hope you devise a satisfactory solution.

Sorry if I offended you. Hope you devise a satisfactory solution.

Dont be silly mate you didn't offend me. And no doubt there are some people who would of thought it quite ok to use an ex fish tank heater in a fermenter so Im sure someone probably read your post and said "$hit I was going to do exactly that..

:icon_offtopic: Sorry for the Off topic, but I notice that every either uses a heat pad/belt or immersion heater. I have an electric fan heater hooked to my stc1000 and placed in the fermenting fridge. This kicks in for about 2 mins every hour or so and maintains great ambient temperature in winter. It only cost about $12 at Big W. Is there a reason that you are not heating the ambient temp rather than directly heating the fermenter?? Does it make a difference??

Is there a reason that you are not heating the ambient temp rather than directly heating the fermenter?? Does it make a difference??

Yes because I don't have an empty fridge or space to put one or a spare cupboard or similar to do this. Im just sitting my fermenter on top of my drier in the laundry. So Im limited to keeping my wort warm directly.

@dazdog. I maybe a newb but I'm not dumb. The heater from my tank is still being used in
My tank. I brought $20 25 watt heater for the job

@ Thirstyboy. If it's good enough for you it's good enough for me.
How did you get the top cap off? I'm worried about forcing it and breaking the glass.

I appreciate the confidence, even if i have less of it about my own opinion than you do :)

I just sort of worked the cap off mine slowly, mine didn't seem to have anys ort of adhesive, just pushed down. I have no idea what different brands might be like though so YMMV. Mind you, fermenter in a tub, heater in the water - that works well too. I would put a little bleach in the water in the tub... All sorts of interesting stuff that you dont want on the inside of your fermenter tap can grow over a week or two in a tub full of 20 water. Food for thought for the people who are avoiding direct immersion because they are concerned about infection.

PS, i have 1x50W and 2x100W heaters... 50 is OK, but I will be buying 100W units for any replacements. The 50 is the first temp control device of any description that i ever bought, and its still going fine. E-bay, cheap.

Here is where I'm confused because modern aquarium heaters ARE designed to be fully submerged and that's how I have mine setup in my fish tank. So are you referring to a different style of heater that isn't designed that way or are you just saying its better that I don't fully submerge it?
There are basically two types of fish tank heater - one is 100% submersible the other isn't - simple :)

Latest posts

Back