First Try With Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishpig

Reaction score
Hi were just about to lay down our first brew using a boiler.Were going to do a 50lt batch and was wondering if anyone had a nice simple recepie for a german pills,were doing an extract or thinking about doing a partial,but definately not a full grain for our first.
if someone could explain the steps it will help us heaps,much appreciated.
oh we wont be bottling,were going to gas the keg ,thanks :D

I'll repeat the off time repeated.

"The search button is your friend"

Was this no good for a german pilsner recipe?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=158786

Read howtobrew for a full run down of the process, there is a simpler explanation on the Grumpy's site manual, http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=15

Going to take too long to explain it, so i'm going to quote grumpy's

Understanding the Mash for KIT BREWERS

Adding MASH Character to your kit:

Many brewers brew for years from kits because the science of mashing appears too complicated. They read obscure brewing texts that discuss "temperature stepped decoction mashing" and articles about "modified malts". When they want to find out about mashing, the gobbledygook from other brewers and many brewshops only helps to confuse. The truth is, that you can add mash character to your kit beers easily and simply.

This article is for you. Keep it simple, then move forward.

In laymans terms, a Mash is just a grainy porridge of Malt and hot water. The trick to it is to develop an understanding what happens when the water meets the grain. For this experiment, we are not interested in the degree of malt extraction, or any specifics. We are only interested that extraction occurs and that we can add it to our kit to improve our brewing.

Firstly, we start with MALT, not MALT EXTRACT (thats whats in a KIT). The purpose of MALTING is to germinate then dry the grain so that it can be easily used for brewing. There are other uses for it but we are only interested in the Brewing bit!

Malt is any GRAIN that has been germinated then dried. Without getting too scientific, during the germination of barley grain, several AMYLASES are formed naturally within the grain. It is these AMYLASES that convert the carbohydrates in the grain into sugars during the MASH.

We can dramatically improve the quality of a kit beer by adding the results of a small grain mash to it. At the same time you will learn that whether you mash 1 KG of grain or 1000 KG of grain, the process is the same, only the equipment gets bigger.

Heres how we do it;

1. Purchase 1 KG Pale Malted Barley and crush it or have it crushed for you.
2. Place into a 7-9 Litre cooking saucepan. (Some people use a small plastic esky)
3. In a kettle or other saucepan (same size) bring 3 litres of water to 7075 Deg C.
4. Pour the hot water into the saucepan (esky) with the grain in it and stir well to make porridge. (this is called THE MASH)
5. Check the MASH temperature with your thermometer, it should be about 65 68 Deg C.
6. Insulate with a towel, leave on the kitchen bench and go and do something else for an Hour and a Quarter. On your return, stir the MASH well and test it by sticking your finger in it then putting it in your mouth, it will taste very sweet.
7. Sieve the MASH via a colander into another saucepan and rinse through with about two litres of hot water.
8. Remove the sieve and boil the result for one hour.
9. Add to your fermenter with your kit and ferment as usual.

And as i said, get yourself a brewing calculator program, Qbrew is free and pretty simple to use to work out OG/IBU counts.

Fishpig, there's not many questions that cant be answered by using the search function of this site. I for one have spent many hours searching and reading through countless posts. This site is a wealth of information and for someone that was a kit and kilo brewer for a year, I have finally taken the plunge into all grain just by reading posts and following recipes like Skunk Fart (compliment to Jayse) very tasty and others on this site. I have made plenty of mistakes but have still managed to produce some fine beers (compared to what I was making)in the last few weeks, even tried the no chill method.

So find some time and search and read so you understand the process, its actually a lot easier than it sounds once you understand why you do what you do. Good Luck :beer: :beer:

Fishpig, there's not many questions that cant be answered by using the search function of this site. I for one have spent many hours searching and reading through countless posts. This site is a wealth of information and for someone that was a kit and kilo brewer for a year, I have finally taken the plunge into all grain just by reading posts and following recipes like Skunk Fart (compliment to Jayse) very tasty and others on this site. I have made plenty of mistakes but have still managed to produce some fine beers (compared to what I was making)in the last few weeks, even tried the no chill method.

So find some time and search and read so you understand the process, its actually a lot easier than it sounds once you understand why you do what you do. Good Luck :beer: :beer:

allright i understand, read the text,the thing is i was just looking to see a clearer avenu than just plunging into it.ill give it a try what ever i do but,god help me im not a scientist ;)

Latest posts

Back