First time recipe maker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimps

Reaction score
Just started home brew, Ive only done other peoples recipes so far. Just attemped my own wondering what you think?

Trying to go for a spicy, smokey golden ale. Bit of a mix betwen Mad brewers scribbly gum and hop dog Heparyezen but might be on the safe side with the speciality grain?

Fermentables
Name Amount Use PPG
2-Row Brewers Malt 3.0 kg 63 % Mash 37
Rye Malt 1.0 kg 21 % Mash 29
Smoked Malt 0.5 kg 10 % Mash 37
2-Row Caramel Malt 60L 200.0 g 4 % Mash 34

Hops
Name Amount Time Use Form AA
Galaxy Australia 8.0 g 40 min Boil Pellet 14.2%
Galaxy Australia 8.0 g 20 min Boil Pellet 14.2%
Galaxy Australia 32.0 g 5 min Boil Pellet 14.2%

Yeasts
Name Lab Attenuation Temp
Safale US-05 US-05 Fermentis 70.0% 60°F – 60°F

Predicted Stats
1.055 OG
1.016 FG
32 IBU
5.0% ABV
7 SRM
0.58 IBU/OG

First response on seeing that is "thats a fair chunk of smoked malt" although I have never brewed with it so no idea how potent it is to work with. Maybe others can jump in with more input?

Watch sparging with the rye in there. It is known to cause very slow sparging

Looks good mate... Belma, Mosaic or Citra could also play well with it..

my advice........... recipe is sound but could use a tweak!

The smoked malt component is not much at all. If its weyermann Rauch malz, its ment to be used as a base malt........ im talking 80 to 90% in a Rauchbier and at this low amount it will add not much more than a slight background character that will fade fast. But picturing what this will produce in the glass..... it will add a subtle character along with the rye so leave it as is.

What i would change is the hop additions. Galaxy is great, but can leave the beer a bit empty in the complexity books. To give the beer some life, bitter it with a lower alpha hop like B saaz or even hallertau at 40 min to set hop base character to hold up all the big malt character you will have going on. Drop the 20 min addition to 10 min nd the 5 min addition to flame out, adjusting the amounts acordingly to get your desired IBU.

my 2c

Latest posts

Back