First time brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyc

Reaction score
So got myself one of those 23 liter diy Cooper brew kits put it all in got OG of 1135 it's been 24 hours took a sample it's Gravity is 1122 so should be about 1.7% I think question is this normal for 1 day of fermentation?

Your OG of 1135 is way off the charts. Read it again and you might find that it was 1.035 and then went to 1.022 which, you are right, gives you 1.7%, all good.

It will finish about 1.005, or there abouts, giving you a beer of 4%. This seems a little low for a kit beer. Did you add the 1kg of sugar?

Also, hydrometers can sometimes give false readings. It should read 0.000 in plain water.

Best of luck.

Thanks you were right it was 1035 OG it has stopped and been at 1010 for 3 days now looks smells and taste great a little cloudy should be about 3.3 AVB think the cloud will go away in bottle conditioning and chilling

So got myself one of those 23 liter diy Cooper brew kits put it all in got OG of 1135 it's been 24 hours took a sample it's Gravity is 1122 so should be about 1.7% I think question is this normal for 1 day of fermentation?
firstly a like for you completing your first step, :bigcheers:
My advice with you being in brisbane (or anywhere in australia for that matter ) , get yourself a dedicated brewing fridge if you Havant already done so, when you begin brewing the single most controllable aspect (outside clenliness of course) that improves your beer is temperature control.

an old fridge of gumtree for say 50 bucks , a small heating element and a warm/cool controller is all you need. even kit yeasts held back to 18 deg will produce very nice beers. brews that have gotten up to the mid 20s give really unappetising flavours that put a lot of people off home brewed beers.

also if you enjoy beers like stone and wood, etc throw some hops in with the yeast as well, adds fantastic flavour. something like 50g of cascade, amarello, citra or galaxy will give lovely aroma and taste, mix them up a bit to your tastes.

Last edited:
Beer turned out good clear AVB 3.6 no real beer taste though like drinking water that has a little bitter to it haha

Not everyone has room for a dedicated extra fridge for fermentation temp control.
An alternative approach is to buy one of the purpose made insulated jackets which you put your fermentor in.
Yes you do need a supply of frozen bottles of water but it's surprising that with a bit of practice you can ferment at 18 to 20 Deg in Queensland summers.
Just saying.............

Just started a new batch pale ale think it will go better with it liking the heat more OG 1051

Back