First Stout - suggestions please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unclestewbrew

Reaction score
Hi fellas ,
Want to brew a batch of Stout for my dad. He enjoys Sheaf commercial Stout and the occasional Coopers.
I don't want anything to difficult at the moment cause it's my first one.
The ESB 3 kg Stout cans get very good reviews.

I've got a fridge and temp control so I want to have a crack

Any suggestions would be appreciated ,

Cheers
Stu

Yep, the 3KG kits are good, but I think the fresh wort kits are a better option. Your local HBS should be able to help out with this, I have gotten some great fresh wort kits from The Brew Shop at Peakhurst..

Because stouts are very malty and highly hopped, it is very difficult to go wrong with them :)

Cheers,
Matt

Cheers Matt , I've done a couple of the Brewers Selection Fresh Wort Kits and they were fantastic.
I will have a look at what they have to offer Stout wise,

Thanks

Just had a look at the Muntons Connoisseurs Stout. LHBS has a Stout booster pack to go with it , looks pretty good

Hope this isn't too silly a question, but never used a wort kit...is it just wort ready to top up with water and pitch your yeast?

Spot on. Some of the heavier styles don't even need the top up, you just pitch the yeast and away you go.

One thing I do find is that stouts do benefit from a good ageing..

One thing I do find is that stouts do benefit from a good ageing..[/quote]

I had a 4 year old RIS at my brew club, it was unbelievable good. So age is good IMO.

Yep, I did an RIS that worked out to be about 12% - it was great after 6 months and smooth as after 2 years...

So how's RIS compared to a commercial stout like Sheaf. The old man loves his Sheaf so I would like something similar in comparison.

Keep in mind , the old boy is 83 ,

Cheers

Take a sheafs and double everything (minimum). Bitterness, alcohol, roast.. it's like a stout on steroids. Takes a while to age as well.

Oh , that's not gunna work , want to keep the old boy alive a fair bit longer haha

Still thinking Muntons connoisseurs e -thoughts anyone if you have done this one ??
Cheers

Muntons is great too, I did a Muntons stout and Kilkenny clone, both rocked.

Nothing wrong with Coopers stout kits either. Make it up a bit stronger with a kilo of light dried malt extract and a pack of Coopers brew enhancer No. 2.
Stouts are one of those styles where the kit versions are often as good as, or better than, an all grain equivalent.

MattSR said:
Yep, the 3KG kits are good, but I think the fresh wort kits are a better option. Your local HBS should be able to help out with this, I have gotten some great fresh wort kits from The Brew Shop at Peakhurst..

Because stouts are very malty and highly hopped, it is very difficult to go wrong with them :)

Cheers,
Matt
Highly hopped stout? :blink:

Id imagine this recipe would work with just about any can of stout goop but seeing your dad likes the coopers stout why not stick with it.

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/42/

just to add I'm currently drinking on tap a coopers Irish stout made with stout improver from ESBrewing and its sensational but this is more like a Guinness than a sheaf stout.

Try This one ....you will love it and so will the old fella.

1 can of coopers irish stout
1 can of coopers dark ale
1kg raw sugar
500g of rolled oats
use both yeasts.

Make a starter with both yeasts a day or so before brewing.

On brew day steep the rolled oats in boiling water for 20 minutes, add both kits to the fermenter with 2 to 3 litres of boiling water, stir to combine, add the raw sugar and the strained rolled oat liquor, Make up to 21litres with cold water and check temp is below 20c. add yeast and ferment at 20cfor two weeks, rack into second rermenter after two weeks if you want or leave another week and check gravity. it should be 1010 or below but I have kegged it at 1020 with no problems.

anyway bottle and leave for 4 weeks before trying it. I keg mine and carbonate it at 100psi for a week then sample.

Cheers

JWB

Interesting recipe JWB may I ask what the rolled oats bring to the table? And do you boil the rolled oat liquor before adding to sterilise it?

Back