First Shot At Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcurrall

Reaction score
going to try bulk priming a jsaa kit clone i've had in the fermenter for 18 days. put specs into bulk priming calculator and got 184g of sugar for 23 litres at 2.8 co2 volume. does this sound ok? doing this as i have different sized bottles, but a bit wary about bottle bombs, only used pet before
cheers

If you want it at 2.8 volumes I guess that's ok, according to BeerSmith was it?
Personally, I would lower it to something around the 150g mark (maybe even lower) just because over-carbed beer is shit to pour and a bit crap to drink. I have bulk-primed some brews with 160g and found it too carbonated. But if your brewing specs say 180g I'm not so sure..
I would aim for 2.3-2.5 volumes, but that's just me.
:icon_cheers:

Good on you for jumping into this priming method. That carb rate is a touch high but not even close to bottle bomb territory. When you are working out your priming rates, be sure to add the highest temperature that your beer got to while it was fermenting. Just in case you arent aware, make sure you mix your priming sugar up in just enough boiling water to dissolve before adding to the primer bucket to ensure a good mix through the whole batch

I usually bulk prime with about 140 gms and find that the carbonation comes out right . What are you using for the sugars ? LDME or sugar for these have differing fermentables .

Best advice I can give you is to (gently) stir the beer in your bottling bucket after every 6 or so bottles filled; this ensures that a consistent amount of sugar is distibuted into every bottle.

When you are working out your priming rates, be sure to add the highest temperature that your beer got to while it was fermenting. Just in case you arent aware, make sure you mix your priming sugar up in just enough boiling water to dissolve before adding to the primer bucket to ensure a good mix through the whole batch

+1

Amount of sugar required will depend on your fermentation temp. the higher the temp the more sugar you will need. So you are using sugar and not dextrose? If dex the amounts are slightly higher.

Add dissolved priming sugar solution to 2nd fermenter and rack beer into fermenter and priming solution will mix through thoroughly.

cheers

Temp was consistently 22c and put that into calc. was going to use sugar for priming but what is best?

From my calc I get you should be adding about 182g of sugar for a 23 L batch fermented @ 22 Deg C for 2.8 volumes. So your OK there, but I think 2.8 volumes may be too high, and perhaps 2.0 -2.5 volumes would be ok. So i would reduce it to 142 g which will give you 2.3 volumes.

I now keg but I used to use dextrose to prime, I just found that i got a smoother carbonation with dex (just personal preference thats all)

Cheers

I always thought the higher the temp there will be more co2 in the fermented beer, that would mean the higher temp you would use less sugar. But I have only bulk primed once so could be very wrong

+1

Amount of sugar required will depend on your fermentation temp. the higher the temp the more sugar you will need. So you are using sugar and not dextrose? If dex the amounts are slightly higher.

Add dissolved priming sugar solution to 2nd fermenter and rack beer into fermenter and priming solution will mix through thoroughly.

cheers

Solubility of gases is higher in liquids at lower temps. So where this comes into relevance in the bulk priming scheme of things is calculating the amount of CO2 in the green beer (pre priming). If your were fermenting at a lower temp then there would be a higher amount of CO2 already in the beer, so you only need to add a smaller amount of priming sugar to reach the desired carbonation level. If you were fermenting at higher temp, the level of CO2 in the beer from the fermentation process will be lower and you will need a higher amount of sugar to reach your overall desired cabonation level.

Cheers ;)

Yep, you are very worng. :p
Colder liquids can hold more dissolved gas, as the liquids warms the gas comes out.

The highest temperature reached after primary fermentation has finished. If your beer ferments the first day at 28 degrees but only hits 21 after primary is over then 21 is the figure.

180g is fine if you like higher carbonation. I don't but it's not my beer. If you ever question an amount a calculator gives you simply find another and see if you get the same answer twice.

Have a read: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=79

AND

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=68

MMMM I just had my first go at bulk priming and was all pleased with myself at how much easier and quicker it made it I use 330ml bottles and the odd Kolsh bottle 450ml i think they are so different volumes thats what its all about. But I used 100gms of dex had it left over and nearly 90 gms sugar . Reading above seems I have over done it.. Should I try to release some gas? or let it go ? ...

I bulk prime all the time now but I am not to fanatical about. I dissolve about 170 grams dex (see I said about) in 500ml of boiling water from the kettle and add this to a 20L jerry and rack tap to tap on to the sugary water. Works every time...

But If you feel the need you can do the same with the amount from a priming calculator...

After all its me who is judging these beauties..

Cheers....

(see I said about)

Not sure it is fair to tar everyone interested in repeatability with the "fanatic" brush.

You're quite right, of course, when you say that you're the one you're brewing for so I'm not at all suggesting your method can't and doesn't work - just wondering how reasonable it is to suggest some fault in those who do give a shit about such things.

Not sure it is fair to tar everyone interested in repeatability with the "fanatic" brush.

You're quite right, of course, when you say that you're the one you're brewing for so I'm not at all suggesting your method can't and doesn't work - just wondering how reasonable it is to suggest some fault in those who do give a shit about such things.

Sorry if I come across as criticizing other.That is far from the truth.. Was only trying to out line how simple it can be.. If I was entering a competition or impressing friends I to would be more precise with my process.

But have a go its not that hard..

Cheers

going to try bulk priming a jsaa kit clone i've had in the fermenter for 18 days. put specs into bulk priming calculator and got 184g of sugar for 23 litres at 2.8 co2 volume. does this sound ok? doing this as i have different sized bottles, but a bit wary about bottle bombs, only used pet before
cheers

hi guys,

as per the initial post in this topic i too am about to move from pet bottles to glass and attempt my first bulk prime....

what i am trying to get my head around is how the c02 volume affects the final alcohol content (or does it)???

im brewing a ginger beer at 18-20c--- can anyone help???

or possibly suggest a possibly volume to use. im looking at priming with honey

any thought would be appreciated
aaron

Back