First Proper Extract Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iScarlet

Reaction score
No real reason behind this post, except that I'm so bloody proud of myself for finally doind my first actual extract brew after mistakenly thinking kit-n-bits was the same thing. Derr. :lol:

Anyway, this brew represents my diving back head first into beer brewing after a couple of months doing some ciders for SWMBO and friends. Just a bit of a break to clear my head.

Here's my recipe:
0.5kg wheat malt
0.5kg pilsener malt
0.1kg crystal malt (Thanks Manticle)
1kg LDME
1kg Dextrose
0.2kg Maltodextrin
30g Hallertauer @ 60 mins
10g Hallertauer @ 20 mins
10g Hallertauer @ flameout
Orange peel

12g Brewcellar wheat beer yeast (any ideas/criticisms on the strain or profiles of this yeast are most welcome).

Cracking the grains was a bitch with a mortar and pestle, but if nothing else it gives more gravity to my argument for buying a mill for that first AG. If I was smart I would have taken pictures. The gravity was only a few points below what I was expecting (1041 when I was hoping for 1044, big whoop), so the efficiency of the mortar and pestle more than makes up for the amount of elbow grease put in.

Now, I have no idea what I'm expecting in this, it's a whee bit of wheat in a mostly barley wort. It's most definitely not a Hoegaarden clone, despite the orange peel and the choice of yeast, and I'm not even sure the end result could be called a wit, but time will tell.

The wort is a lovely pale greyish brown, and the yeast is happily munching away. I've bowed my head and prayed to the Beer Gods (and Patron Saints) to deliver me from infection.

Cheers/Slinte!

[edited for my yeast misnomer]

No real reason behind this post, except that I'm so bloody proud of myself for finally doind my first actual extract brew after mistakenly thinking kit-n-bits was the same thing. Derr. :lol:

Anyway, this brew represents my diving back head first into beer brewing after a couple of months doing some ciders for SWMBO and friends. Just a bit of a break to clear my head.

Here's my recipe:
0.5kg wheat malt
0.5kg pilsener malt
0.1kg crystal malt (Thanks Manticle)
1kg LDME
1kg Dextrose
0.2kg Maltodextrin
30g Hallertauer @ 60 mins
10g Hallertauer @ 20 mins
10g Hallertauer @ flameout
Orange peel

12g Brewcellar wheat beer yeast (any ideas/criticisms on the strain or profiles of this yeast are most welcome).

Cracking the grains was a bitch with a mortar and pestle, but if nothing else it gives more gravity to my argument for buying a mill for that first AG. If I was smart I would have taken pictures. The gravity was only a few points below what I was expecting (1041 when I was hoping for 1044, big whoop), so the efficiency of the mortar and pestle more than makes up for the amount of elbow grease put in.

Now, I have no idea what I'm expecting in this, it's a whee bit of wheat in a mostly barley wort. It's most definitely not a Hoegaarden clone, despite the orange peel and the choice of yeast, and I'm not even sure the end result could be called a wit, but time will tell.

The wort is a lovely pale greyish brown, and the yeast is happily munching away. I've bowed my head and prayed to the Beer Gods (and Patron Saints) to deliver me from infection.

Cheers/Slinte!

[edited for my yeast misnomer]

I just went through the same thing over the weekend, my recipe includes:

1.5kg LME (amber)
1.5kg LME (light)
500g LDME
250g Caramalt
20g Amarillo at 40 and 20
20g Saaz at 10
Safale Us-05 (also planing to try reuse this yeast for first time tommoz when I put the brew into secondary)

Right, today was bottling day. Here is the result, uncarbonated of course:
Witless.jpg

Tastes fine, looks nice and cloudy for a wit, but next time I doubt I will use fresh orange rind. Let's hope that mellows and we'll chalk it down to experience.

Did you just use the orange part or did you include the pith (white part as well)?

A lot of flavours should round out with proper conditioning.

I just used the rind on this one. The last time I used citrus in a brew I through in a whole lemon cut into eights and that one came out like a radler.

All the rind from one orange. It doesn't add much in the flavour in the beer, just a strong smell.

I reckon that will dissipate. I've used rind from 2 and more oranges before (admittedly darker brews) and had no issues.

See how it is in a couple of weeks with carbonation.

Back