First Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine finally started "blooping" Thursday morning after pitching Sunday night = 84 Hours...

And I'm not relying on the airlock noise as a reliable indicator - Monday to Wednesday there was no perceptable change in SG.

Next time I will definitely do a starter...or drop the next lager on top of the yeastcake this one will produce.

Im currently fermenting a lager out in the open cause its so bloody cold in melb at the moment. I pitched a huge starter and it still looks like it isnt fermenting. Lager yeasts are lazy slow working buggers. they dont give you any excitment. watching lager ferment is like watching paint dry.

if your seal isnt spot on you wont get any airlock action and becuase it takes soo long to ferment the gas build up is fairly slow also.

I usually have a sacrifical lager that i pitch at ambient then drop into a fridge/down to 10deg~

Then i usually use the slurry on another 2 batches directly pitching at fridge temps around 10deg~. i dont notice any off flavours with the high pitch temp ones that get dropped abck to 10 deg overnight but its a worthwhile risk.

IMO lagers are always better off a re-pitch.. much like my currnet CAP.... awesome! the yeast profile got better cleaner as the batches went on!

I brewed 2 more Aussie Lagers wednesday night whilst watch the state of origin. Both where pitched with dried Swiss and both have a beautiful kraussen and cake forming 48 hours later.

I usually have a sacrifical lager that i pitch at ambient then drop into a fridge/down to 10deg~

Then i usually use the slurry on another 2 batches directly pitching at fridge temps around 10deg~. i dont notice any off flavours with the high pitch temp ones that get dropped abck to 10 deg overnight but its a worthwhile risk.

IMO lagers are always better off a re-pitch.. much like my currnet CAP.... awesome! the yeast profile got better cleaner as the batches went on!

Do the same 4star pitch straight away at about 18-20C and drop the temp in the fridge over say 24hrs. Never had any nasties except the ferment fridge smelling of dead fart. PHEWWEEE!

Hey 4Star do you have a recipe for that CAP of yours I'm thinking of giving it a whirl off the yeast cake of my current Lager batches.

Cheers

Chappo

Hey 4Star do you have a recipe for that CAP of yours I'm thinking of giving it a whirl off the yeast cake of my current Lager batches.

Ask and thou shall recieve: :icon_cheers:

CAP II
Classic American Pilsner

Type: All Grain
Date: 28/04/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 81.8 %
1.00 kg Polenta (1.3 SRM) Grain 18.2 %
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.5 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 5.9 IBU
20.00 gm Pearle [6.00%] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10%] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 34.7 IBU
Est Color: 3.3 SRM

Water profile:
Ca 58, Mg 20, Na 6, SO4 134, Cl 57, HCO3 13

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 69.8 C 64.0 C 90 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 93.8 C 75.0 C 10 min

NOTE: Boil polenta for 10-15 mins and then add to dough in to reach 64deg mash in temp. Next time i might mash at slightly higher temps (66) as i found this a little on the dry side. I only used the hallertau because i had 10 grams to get rid of. you could sub the hallertau for perle or bsaaz or repalce the perle additions with hallertau. I have really soft water so my additions of salts drop it to like -30 Residual Alkalinity. I'd also add a small amount of baking soda if you already have signifigant permanent hardness in your water. Infact, in the next batch i do i might just add this to help offset slightly. oh, add the salts direct to the kettle or else you may throw your mash out if you do already have allot of calcium etc.

My next attempt will be all bsaaz. love this hop!

Back