First Partial, A Grumpys Fan.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
Gday guys and girls.

My first partial is inevetible, its on the way. Its going to happen.

Ive got most of the gear ready...i think. I even did a dry run with my esky. Making sure that it can hold the mash at 67 +.

Ive ordered a Mini Lauter Tun through Grumpys, to sparge my mash. Too say i'm excited is an understatement.

Any hints would be very much appreciated, give me your all !! :beerbang: :p

If everything works out, i think its full mash for me.....forever and a day !!!

Good work Paleman! The only thing that I will say is that you don't want to go much higher than 67 for your mash temp. Instead of 67+, I would say 65-67 is more like it. You can play around with higher mash temps down the track a bit but I think for your first effort at mashing something like 66 is perfect, just to keep it simple and so you don't get any strange surprises.

What Grumpy's kit are you using?

I think Partials are a great way to sample what the world of all grain brewing has to offer, but unless you are strapped for cash or space, I can't see why people do any more than 2 or 3 partials. If you can do a partial, you can do AG - there is really very little difference between the two.

Good luck!

T.D. said:
I can't see why people do any more than 2 or 3 partials. If you can do a partial, you can do AG - there is really very little difference between the two.

Good luck!
[post="124022"][/post]​

this is something I have just decided after 2 partials...I was using mostly grain for my second batch...3.5 kg of pale malt, 200 gms of crystal, and 100 gms of caramunich....added 1 kg of light liquid malt extract..next time I'll go the whole hog with grain....tastes so much nicer & fresher than extract beers :chug:

hey paleman,
me too!
going to crack into it this weekend after a quick stop by my HBS to get some fixings.
I was going to do an extract 'n' steep, but decided to have a go at controlling temperatures more closely in preparation to the big step up to AG. So partial it is.
Not sure what method you're going to employ, Im going to use a small chilly bin (pardon my kiwi) to mash in, just a simple grist of pale malt (< 2kg) and a small amount of crystal (probably 250gm) for a simple pale ale. just bung it all in the cooler, mash, then pour into my boil pot through a sieve and rinse with some more water. a really basic batch sparge... might be a bit cloudy but there you go.
Boil, hop, add the rest of fermentables (LME) near the end of the boil and viola.

The main thing I found difficult in formulating my recipe, and I'd appreciate advice on was how much water to use to get a small wort of correct gravity to be able to calculate hop utilisation? My pot isn't quite big enough for full boils, its only capable of 15 or so litres for a 23l batch, and in any case the partial mash will yeild much less than that 15l. Probably about 6l I reckon. Its tricky to work that stuff out even with promash's help.

I'm partialling because I can't scrape the gear together for a full mash - need to buy a dedicated mash tun chilly bin and fit the correct plumbing, boil pot not big enough, need to make a wort chiller etc.
I'm intending on getting the gear together, but will probably mini-mash more than thrice in the meantime.

cheers and good luck!

T.D. said:
Good work Paleman! The only thing that I will say is that you don't want to go much higher than 67 for your mash temp. Instead of 67+, I would say 65-67 is more like it. You can play around with higher mash temps down the track a bit but I think for your first effort at mashing something like 66 is perfect, just to keep it simple and so you don't get any strange surprises.

What Grumpy's kit are you using?

I think Partials are a great way to sample what the world of all grain brewing has to offer, but unless you are strapped for cash or space, I can't see why people do any more than 2 or 3 partials. If you can do a partial, you can do AG - there is really very little difference between the two.

Good luck!
[post="124022"][/post]​

This is very true TD- I did my first partial (apart from Grumpy's kits I mean) on Monday - only thing I found was that my "huge" pot wasnt huge enough and a new one is now in order. Once I get my much bigger pot I think I will try an AG batch - one important thing make sure you got plenty time and no interuptions cause I made a few stuff ups! It still smells good tho.

The grains are calling me man :super:

Latest posts

Back