First Liquid Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynian

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am about to use a liquid yest for the first time - a Wyeast 3944.

I am going to use the method as stated here https://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=9 to propogate the yeast for another use.

I have also read the post by Batz in regard to propogation and I guess i would like to know if there are any real disadvantages to just using the Grumpy's method? I assume that for the next time I will need to step up the yeast from the stubby to have enough viable cells for another propogation.

I would love to hear what people have to say as I want to get this right as it is too expensive to bugger up.

Cheers
Rob

I think that there are different methods because there is no 'right' method. Batz' method will be fine. So will Grumpy's. There are many others. Which method depends on what you want to do with the yeast? How many times do you think you'll want to use this yeast? How long will it be between batches?

I think that there are different methods because there is no 'right' method. Batz' method will be fine. So will Grumpy's. There are many others. Which method depends on what you want to do with the yeast? How many times do you think you'll want to use this yeast? How long will it be between batches?

I am probably going to use the method from Grumpy's simply because of time constraints. I am thinking I would like to make quite a few brews with this yeast, but am unlikely to to them more than once every 3 or so months, thus i am thinking this yeast wont be needing lots of little stubby's in the fridge - just the one to kick it all off again.

Thanks for the lightning fast replies.

Well its all done and dusted now.

I did use the Grumpy's method, just for convenience as much as anything. It went perfectly, I have a bottle of yeasties ready for the next brew and the starter took off like expected.

Last night I made up my wort and added the starter, not long after we had some action - I cant believe how quickly it took off. (I added the starter not too long after it had hit high Krausen)

The only glitch I had was when my 1yr old son was let into my study where the starter was (best constant temp in the house due to PC's) he thought the bubbling airlock looked like a great thing and decided to pick it up - it popped out of the bottle at precious yeast and wort escaped!!! Luckily my wife realised what she had done and fixed it up with no great loss - the sheepish phone call to me at work was interesting :)

Anyway - I cannot wait to try this in a week or so mmmmmm hoegaarden :)

Sorry. Small hijack.

I too am about to use my first liquid yeast. The yeast packet says its only good for a 23 litre batch. I am brewing a 50 litre batch split into two fermenters and was going to do the following.

Get a one litre starter going. Step up the starter to two litres then step it up to three litres. Pour one litre into one fermenter, one litre into the other fermenter and reserve the remaining litre for another brew down the track.

Have I got it right?

You could do it that way, Peels, but you should be able to start with a 3L starter in the first place. There's plenty of yeast in both WL or Wyeast packs to start with that amount and avoid mucking about stepping it up. Personally, I'd start with 4L, 1.5L for each batch and 1L to save.

Yes, Chris White mentioned in his last talk that pitching his tube into a pint or a litre is almost a waste of time, gets the yeast woken up and active, but not enough food to get them going properly, need to start with a larger volume.

Thank for the advice. It all makes sense now. 4 litre starter of Wyeast 1728 Scottish ale coming up.

Well its all done and dusted now.

I did use the Grumpy's method, just for convenience as much as anything. It went perfectly, I have a bottle of yeasties ready for the next brew and the starter took off like expected.

Last night I made up my wort and added the starter, not long after we had some action - I cant believe how quickly it took off. (I added the starter not too long after it had hit high Krausen)

The only glitch I had was when my 1yr old son was let into my study where the starter was (best constant temp in the house due to PC's) he thought the bubbling airlock looked like a great thing and decided to pick it up - it popped out of the bottle at precious yeast and wort escaped!!! Luckily my wife realised what she had done and fixed it up with no great loss - the sheepish phone call to me at work was interesting :)

Anyway - I cannot wait to try this in a week or so mmmmmm hoegaarden :)

My little boy decided to fill the airlock with kitty litter. Thankfully it was empty at the time. When I went to clean it i stupidly filled it with water not noticing the kitty litter. The kitty litter absorbed the water and filled up the airlock!! No chance of getting that out now!

I had to take a step back and breathe. Calm heads prevailed and sitting it in some bleach did the trick.

My little boy decided to fill the airlock with kitty litter.

I had to take a step back and breathe. Calm heads prevailed and sitting it in some bleach did the trick.

The airlock or the kid? :ph34r:

Cheers
Dave

Back