First lagering attempt (and when to dry hop a Pilsner)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I raised the temp to 15 degrees and yesterday added the kit yeast. Some bubbles had formed on top and today the SG is down to 1.011.

Chalk up another "win" for S-23 I guess.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it. but, you should have pitched 2 packets of s-23 if your brewing at 12oC (I would have done that even if i was brewing a twocan at 18oC). Add the other packet and give the fermenter a good swirl with a sanitised spoon.

Sounds like its back on track. I don't think the beer will turn out bad if the fermentation stopped for a while. Maybe leave at 15 for few days then drop back 12deg then cold condition.
As far as the yeast I haven't had much luck with the saf lager yeasts but I have tasted some lagers with them and they were great so I probably didn't have it re-hydrated properly when I used it.

Update:

It's been in the bottle for 3 weeks now (I left it lagering for a few months).

It's pretty lackluster. Nice and clear but zero head retention and seemingly under-carbed. Very mild flavour. Flavour and aroma is kinda like a very, very mild version Heineken. There are no off flavours though. If it was carbed enough It would be the perfect drink on a hot day. As it is right now though... too watery.

Might make an extract Pilsner next time. Now that I have a few more brews under my belt. Thinking of adding 200g of some sorta steeping grain to help with the head retention. What should I use... Carapils?

Lovely and clear but big bubbles. And that head disappears in less than 10 seconds. I'll try another one every week or so to see if it improves any.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1392645628.693781.jpg

Latest posts

Back