First Keg Filled.. Possible Fail.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiling water and steam sanitation of kegs FTW

Really? So 19kg = 19L of beer? Dunno why but I assumed it wouldn't work exactly like that.

I've been thinking of getting some scales for use in the brewery, for example I could record the net weight of a keg and then measure my kegs to work out how much beer is left in them. For example I need to transfer one of my kegs into a 9L keg so that I can keg another full batch this weekend. Whatever beer is already close to half empty I'll be drinking tonight in an attemp to get it down to 9L (just my civic duty you know). So it'd be awesome to weigh the kegs and know that it has say 10.5 litres meaning I only need to drink 1.5 litres to get it down to the right level.

19KG = 19/FG L of beer

(i think that's right ;))

Awesome guys.

Sounds like theres lots of ways to get beer in keg haha. Will have to try a few, this one was a keep it simple as possible solution as I still ended up with beer on the floor haha.

Good to know I can always use boiling water if I dont want to use star san, I like that I can 'see' the foam in its sanitisation glory though.

My pale ale got the boot out of the keezer and is now back to ghetto fermentation for now (swamp cooler) and going to try to force carb my weihenstephaner hefe clone (hoping to try the beer tonight!).

Thanks for all the help once again :D.

Pushing StarSan with CO2 is not good as I recall. Causes some kind of reaction and it stinks. Possibly not goot to breath either.

+1 I've been doing it for over a year (since switching from iodophor to starsan) and haven't noticed any unexpected smells in my beer nor my stored empty kegs. I don't push as much through the diptube as argon; just enough to get contact, but I do purge and pressurise the kegs while there's still residual starsan there. Anyway, it'll be good to know for sure, so I've just sent off an email to Five Star Chemicals - let's see what they say...

Unfortunately my email to the support address must have fallen through the cracks, but I just received this response from Jon, who represented Five Star Chemicals at last year's ANHC:

There is no reaction that occurs between Star San and Carbon dioxide. If someone experienced an odor, then something else was present.

Your procedure of purging the kegs with CO2 is fine.

Jon Herskovits
Five Star Chemicals

Cheers,
tallie

Sounds like you'll be fine.

Everyone has their own way of doing it. I use Oxyper and rinse, then hit everything with boiled water afterwards myself.
Got the stuff at Grain & Grape and most folks I know who introduced me to kegging use that. A small bag goes a long way.

Tend to screw out the posts give them a good oxyper soak and hot rinse after every few batches just to ensure there's no buildup of gunk.
But like everything in the brewing world everyone has their own way as you can see above - plenty of right ways to do it.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back