First go at BIAB.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dunn

Reaction score
After reading the many threads on BIAB, I descided to take the bull by the horns and have a go!

For my first all grain BIAB brew I have made a pilsner, FA Kikinda Pils.

I purchased a Primus 60lt crab cooker. It's an aluminium Stock pot with a basket.
I got it from Outback Adventures, Morayfield. These guys also do online selling as well. Listed price was $139.00. I also purchased a 104000 BTU gas burner from them as well.

IMG_0778_zps8ae49660.jpg

IMG_0779_zps957dfb66.jpg

IMG_0780_zpse6fd8f37.jpg

I used 3 x M10 ss bolts and nuts to raise the basket up off the bottom of the pot so as not to burn the bag.
IMG_0781_zps6a46b3b7.jpg

I pegged the voil bag in place and added the grains. The top of the bag sits down between the pot and the basket preventing it catching fire if I need to fire up the burner to maintain mash temp.
IMG_0783_zpse9e91faf.jpg
IMG_0784_zpsa13a995c.jpg
IMG_0785_zps0e32e3db.jpg
IMG_0786_zpsc971d4c4.jpg

The smell was awesome! Sweet as. I was surprised at the "stickiness" of the golden nectar.

IMG_0788_zpsa2665836.jpg

After the 90 minute mash I sparged with about 4 lt of 65c water. This took about 30 minutes to drain. almost perfect timing as I lit the burner and the boil started as the last of the sparge liquid drained away.
IMG_0790_zpsd251cfe5.jpg

I did a 90 minute boil. added hops at 60 min, 15 min added hops and whirlflock, 5 min last of hops.

This is where my battery went flat so no more pix.

I did this no-chill (Forgot to buy copper for chiller). sealed the pot and left it over night.
1.5lt starter bottle with 200g of DLME and SAFlager pink packet yeast.

I use a conical fermenter so I syphoned the wort into it, created a whirlpool by stirring left it to settle for a couple of hours and drained off the trub etc. This left me 25lt of clear liquid that I pitched the very active yeast into. It is now fermenting at 18 deg and bubbling away happily.

Cant wait to try it as it smells wicked!! Here is the recipe.

Fa Kickinda Pils (German Pilsner (Pils))
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 3.9 (EBC): 7.7
Bitterness (IBU): 35.2 (Average)
90.01% Pilsner
9.99% Munich I
0.5 g/L Chinook (11.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 64°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes
Fermented at 18°C with Saflager W-34/70
Notes: 4lt @ 64c sparge through grain.
1.5lt ldme water yeast starter

good job mate!!! your set up looks great. i'm starting to think i need one of those killer crab cookers too. they look the goods.

fletcher said:
good job mate!!! your set up looks great. i'm starting to think i need one of those killer crab cookers too. they look the goods.
Yeah I did look at a few. The BCF ones were quite "flimsy". This one seems to be quite thick. Heres the link Crab Cooker and the Burner.

It as heavy as when I lifted the basket out after mash, near gave me a hernia!!

I kegged and carbed the first all grain brew, FA Kikinda Pils.

It came off the gas this morning at 6am. Early I know but I just had to pour one to check it was ok.

First taste, Bloody good!! I even got my missus to have a sip!

I reckon it can only get better with a week in the keg.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. I might need to call on your expertise when I do my first batch.

Back