First Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitegoose

Reaction score
Just about to enter a couple of beers into a competition for the first time and I have a couple of questions...

1. The entry form has a column called "AG / Kit". Are these usually the only categories? One of the beers I'm entering is an extract and the other is a partial using about 51% grain, 49% extract - would I still put this in as a "Kit"

2. The competition says you need to submit 2 bottles 330ml - 750ml each. Just wondering, would it be preferable to submit the bigger bottles? Obviously 330ml is allowed, but would I be better off giving the jusdges more to drink?

Thanks for your help!

1. Partial would still be more of a 'kit' imo - however if you note it on your entry form the judges may move it into the AG category. (Theoretically it should be better than a plain kit, but not as good as an AG... just my thoughts though!)

2. 2 smaller bottles is fine, that way you keep your longnecks. 2 bigger bottles means judges get to sample more after judging. Either way does not make much difference.

Cheers!

Edit - I tend to bottle in 500ml bottles, that way 2 of them should cover most competition requirements. Most comps I have seen usually want 1x 750 or 2x 375. Sometimes the second bottles is used for displaying if a winner.

Thanks mate.

Another question - with glass bottles (which are allowed in the competition rules) would I be expected to pack them/wrap them in bubble wrap/masking tape them together etc before dropping them off at one of the delivery points? Or just rock up with the loose bottles?

I was of the understanding that the second bottle was cracked if the first was clearly infected, catering for those situations where you were just plain unlucky with one of your bottles. If both bottles were infected, then that indicates a more general issue with sanitation.

As far as amount is concerned, the judges usually only have a taste (and they have a lot of beers to taste), so 330ml would cover tastings just fine. Submitting 750ml isn't necessarily better, but a lot of people bottle in PET bottles, so they submit these as it's what's easily available.

just rock up with the loose bottles?

I think the AG or Kit part is an outdated requirement on their entry form.. It appears on forms all i enter but the breakup of comps to AG, partial and kit is outdated. I havn't entered a beer yet that was judged away from another beer because of where the malt came from. Atleast thats the way it appears when the comp results come back.

I havent seen any of these compertitions before or knew they exsisted.
Can someone link me to the site that runs these etc?
Or are they state to sate kinda things?

I havent seen any of these compertitions before or knew they exsisted.
Can someone link me to the site that runs these etc?
Or are they state to sate kinda things?

most are within states - although some comps are open to entries from else where. There are also some nationwide comps that are run as well.

Where are you located? It would help in directing you to the best comps for you.

Brendo

Check out here for the national staging details from 2009: AABC Website

Entry into the Nation Comp requires a top 3 placing in the state based comp. Follow the SA links to get a feel for styles, rulings, etc...

I dare say this will occur around the same time again this year too.

There are also other comps in SA and other states too, e.g. Adelaide Wine and Beer Club

Back