First brew fail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad

Reaction score
Hey lads.

So I started my first brew last week (mangrove jacks Belgian ale) and I was happy with how I went with the brew.
I then left it in my kegerator at 22 degrees and flew out for work.
While I've been away my son has turned the bloody fridge off and it got up to 31 degrees????
Should I just chuck it out when I get home and start fresh or is it still worth force carbing and trying it out.
Wanted it for Australia Day.
It's been back at 22 degrees since and it's been fermenting for 11 days.

What do you pros reckon?

Always taste something before you chuck it. It will certainly have changed, but it might not be too bad. Or it might. Only one way to tell. Doesn't have to be carbed. You'll know.

If the first few days were at 22 you might have got away with it. Definitely taste before tipping!

Also is mangrove jacks Belgian ale a good drop if done right?
Haven't read much on it.
Was going to just try coopers pale ale with some galaxy hops next up.
Thoughts?

What was the yeast? Was it their Belgian Ale yeast?
If so will be fine.

What yeast do U recommend for next time?

Ok so by Sunday this first brew improved a lot. Even the mrs was drinking it.
It was fruity and bitter but still very drinkable. Glad I didn't throw it out thanks lads.
So for the next one I have a fridgemate set to 20 degrees and a coopers apa.
Was going to boil 15g of amorillo and 15g of cascade for 15 mins then 15g of Vic secret at 1 min. (In the ldme)
Add be2 then Let it ferment for 14 days then cold crash and keg.
Will be using us-05 yeast.
Thoughts or better ideas?
I like mildly hoppy pale ales like steam rail and squires.

20 C is the absolute upper limit that I'd consider fermenting anything other than a Saison at.
So I'd suggest an 18-19 C fermentation temperature - but I don't have much experience with coopers kits.

What are you hoping to achieve with those hop additions ?

I would keep it simple, and just add one hop for a 15 minute boil. This will give very little bitterness, but a nice aroma.
One hop will give you insight on what type of flavours that hop brings. I particularly like Amarillo, but Cascade is great too.
Alas, I have no experience with Vic Secret.

After time hop aroma does fade.

I agree with Mr Wibble. Unless you know what each hop will contribute, try them out individually first. Find a base your happy with (Coopers Pale is a good choice IMO) then try a different hop with each brew. If you like Squires then you've probably got an idea of what flavour Amarillo will bring, as it is the main hop in their Golden Ale. My recommendation would be a tin of Coopers Pale, BE2, a 10-15 min boil of some Cascade and US05 yeast. For the next brew, keep everything the same but change the hop to Vic Secret. Keep base the same and only change the hop. Once your familiar with a few different hops, you could try them in combinations. By knowing what a hop tastes like on it's own, you can identify any changes when it's combined with others. Hope that makes sense.

Legends. Will do.
Yeah I'm purely choosing those hops cos they sound like what I like but I fully get what your saying. I have heaps of cascade so I might try it first then go from there. Cheers.

Back