First Biab- Black Rice Something Something

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
This is what I was thinking of, loosely based off someone's recipe

3kg Pilsner Malt
4kg Cooked Black Glutinous Rice
0.1 Caramunich I
12g Warrior @ 60 mins

US-05 Yeast

I could use Galaxy but I'll taste the black rice first and decide then. I presume I should do a protein rest- but what is it exactly?

Cool, black rice! Any idea what that adds (that's different to normal rice)?

...I presume I should do a protein rest- but what is it exactly?

Yes do a protein rest with rice. I did an Aussie Lager with rice without a protein rest which has turned out great but I should have done a protein rest as it's a little hazy. It may drop brighter but I'm overly worried. [topic="31505"]Linky[/topic]

Cheers

Chappo

No one else hears alarm bells ringing here?
60% rice? and black glutinous rice as well?

King Python, that's a hell of a lot of adjunct, I'd use 1/2 that amount of rice and up your base malt if you want any flavour at all. Also you will need a couple of scoops of rice hulls too, I know it's BIAB but with that much rice your going to end up with porridge and the hulls will help keep the mash loose for better conversion.

I'd also use the galaxy malt.

Andrew

I think it may be best to try something a little more conventional for your first BIAB.

That is rational but I think process wise it will be the same. The only issue is the taste of the black rice. I think I'll taste some and see and then vary how much I put in or mix it a portion of it with white rice.

Ah brain fade- 1kg of cooked black rice

I was thinking 1kg raw so that would mean you add 4kg cooked cooked into the mash.

ahhh -good. I was very much going to echo AndrewQLD in his sentiments.

BiaB is not the worlds most enzyme friendly process - it works just fine alright, but its probably more vulnerable to suffering from over use of starchy adjuncts.

Even with only one kg of rice - I would be targeting a malt with a good high Diastatic Power. Talk to your HB shop about it. A pilsner/lager malt rather than a pale ale malt I realize thats what you were planning to use anyway though). Andrew's suggestion of something like Galaxy is right on.

A protien rest is a temperature rest which allows the enzymes in the mash to work on the proteins in the grain not just the sugars - the particular enzymes that do that job are active in the 45-55C (ish) range and killed off at much higher than that. So a normal mash temperature in the mid 60C range doesn't really do anything much to the proteins.

Starting or resting your mash at say 50 gives the enzymes a chance to break down the long proteins that can cause haze - rice has more of these than malted barley.

So - you would aim to start your mash at about 50C, rest it for a little while, then raise the temperature up to wherever you want it for your main conversion rest.

On your first AG - if you insist on using this recipe - I wouldn't bother with the protein rest. The haze is a "maybe" not a certainty and you really will want to make your life as simple as possible. If it has a little haze - well next time you brew that beer, with some more experience under your belt - then you can do a protein rest.

Its not "hard" its just that a first brewday can be a whole lot of stuff happening at once - a complex mash schedule isn't going to make it any easier

TB

Yeah I was planning on using Galaxy the malt for this very reason. You're probably right about the protein haze not really affecting the beer. If it goes to plan the beer should be dark enough so that you wouldn't be able to really see it.

I've got a few partials under my belt so I'm familiar (maybe not great) with mashing so I don't think I'll panic etc.

Back