first attempt at hops and DME

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stattonb

Reaction score
So i had a crack at if using advise i got from members on here and this is what i did.
Hops bag in boiling water for 20 minutes,then removed bag and added 500g of DME mied it in and then added my tin of pale ale.
Added it to the Fermenter and then added 1kg brew enhancer 2,stired it all in and added cold water up to 21ltrs,waited till the temp was done to 20 c and pitch yeast.
Just wanting to know if this is ok and if not let me know :) only way ill learn.

Much better boiling the hops in solution with DME. Add 100g of dme per litre of water, boil hops for desired length of time, add the remaining dme with 5-10 minutes to go.

cool thanks for the info,im hoping what i did since it is my first crack (before it was just 1kg of dex) that it turns out descent

Yep - it makes a huge difference. Glad to hear it went well

Next time try steeping a small amount of specialty grains as well depending on the style

Hey statton, I'm just trying to jazz up my kit brews at the moment. When you say you boiled the hops and DME in water. How much water ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Curly79 said:
Hey statton, I'm just trying to jazz up my kit brews at the moment. When you say you boiled the hops and DME in water. How much water ?

For sprucing up a kit brew I'd add about 200g of DME to 5ishL of water on the stove, bring it up to a boil, add the hops and DME then dissolve the remaining 300g DME and kit in the fermenter using a small amount of boiling water and the boiled DME and hop combo (Strain the boiled hops through something to minimise hop bits) and you should notice a massive improvement. People harp on about hop utilisation at certain gravities but if you add between 50-100g or DME per Litre of water you'll be fine the difference is not massive.

Thanks moose. I've already changed brew enhancers and yeasts. That will be my next step. Cheers mate

yea was a massive improvement sipping on a pale ale now and is great,will start trying different hops and grains :)

Back