First all grain seemed to work.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilchard

Reaction score
Ran a half batch of all grain, BIAB in my new $20 19l pot. Everything went off according to plan, used the paint strainer bag, measured all the water, grain, hops etc etc. ran 8 points high on finished gravity. It was a Pacific ale recipe if this helps.

If I use Marks software I am up a lot from the estimate in the program. I did sparge though so maybe picked up some more suger there. I just made it up to a few more litres of water to hit OG of 42. I am wondering if the extra water will be an issue later, washing it out or should I have just let it be and got more booze from the wort at the intended 11 litres?

I have read here efficiency will vary between recipes, but if I use the same recipe again I should expect like results? If so I can compensate for kettle loss and grain loss.

Cheers

I worked off a .6l grain Loss and 3l in the boil. I thaught I worked it out fairly well but was left with less wort than expected and at a lot greater OG. When made up to the 11l this is when I was 8 points high.

Cheers

It appears that your boil off figure was higher than the three litres you had calculated.
If you are using a gas burner it is important that you set its intensity the same each brew otherwise the boil off figure will constantly change.

After diluting to your final volume if you are 8 points high that is a great first go mate, I am sure I was about 4-8 points low!

Great first go mate! My first biab ended up on target for OG but about 5L short! I have since learnt from all the mistakes I made in my first few and doing alright now...

YAY BEER!
I've done 3 AG brews now and Ive realised that I lose WAY more volume to evaporation than I would have guessed. I think I worked out that with my set up, I lose around 6-7 liters per hour (with the lid off)

Latest posts

Back