First Ag Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

len

Reaction score
Well..
  • the timber deck is cascading waterfalls
  • the kitchen and laundry tiles are running an inch deep in muddy water
  • the sink is clogged with hop pellet gunk
  • the fermenter is still cooling at 32C, plate chiller be damned
  • my hands have that old "bleached" feeling
  • my gas strip BBQ couldn't boil the kettle to save its life
  • I have a monster esky full of water I have no idea what to do with
  • the kitchen sink is piled half a meter high with pyrex
  • the hairs on my right forearm have been burnt off
  • I'm drenched in semi-sweet smelling water
  • I thought I'd be finished by 4pm, and
  • there are seven empty longnecks of pilsner and APA looking at me
but I'm a real brewer! First AG batch is almost away - just a few more hours to chill and I'll pitch the starter.

Something magical about it, isn't there? - water + barley + hops + yeast = the amber nectar.

One actual question, though - I fubared the calculations for my kettle/HLT dipstick and accidentally doughed-in at too high a temp (72-ish). I added icecubes to drop it down to 64-ish (overshot), and the SG of the 30L I pulled off was 1.040. Promash reckoned this makes my efficiency 60% (which was what I planned for), but after the boil, I had 23L at 1.060, which would be 77%, again according to Promash.

Those numbers don't work out even close, so I'm thinking they're dodgy readings. Is it possible for the first runnings + sparge water to layer in such a way to get a low reading?

And is it worthwhile boiling up another 5-8 IBU of hops and add them to the fermenter to balance the alcohol? (The recipe for amber ale I've got has 38 IBU.)

Well... during the boil, you're boiling off water, which reduces the volume of wort without removing any of the dissolved malt extract, which has a density higher than water. As water is boiled off it is expected that the density of the solution (and hence SG) will increase.

If you're curious you can always check the SG again, adding extra hops is up to you, but for 5-8IBU it might not be worth it heh.

Good Day
Yes I have had low readings from the top of the boiler after sparging, give it a stir and you get a magical increase in gravity and efficiency. :D

How are you checking the gravity readings, if with a refractomer is it calibrated? If with a Hydrometer have you made the correction for temperature?
Check the gravity readings again to be sure, and as you've bittered at 38 IBU's I wouldn't think it necessary to add more for bittering, even if your efficiency is higher than you were expecting.

There have been a few posts recently regarding efficiency readings and losses to trub and kettle, in Beer smith you need to set them to zero, to ensure a correct efficiency into the fermenter. Not sure about promash though.

You do need to be careful about mash temps and doughing in, over 70c as you'll already know is a big no, no as you can de-active or kill the enzymes required for protein breakdown, as you brought the temp down fairly quickly you should be ok but your efficiency may have been affected to some degree.

BTY Len I haven't laughed so much in ages, brings back memories especially the no hairs on the forearms.!

Good luck, she'll be a beauty mate.

AC

How are you checking the gravity readings, if with a refractomer is it calibrated? If with a Hydrometer have you made the correction for temperature?
Check the gravity readings again to be sure, and as you've bittered at 38 IBU's I wouldn't think it necessary to add more for bittering, even if your efficiency is higher than you were expecting.

It was with a hydrometer, both times. I didn't adjust for temperature, so maybe that's something I should look into next time.

Barry might be on to something with layering in the kettle right after sparging too - I'll give it more of a stir before measuring in future.

Cheers!

Len

Ooohh yeah, density/SG varies a lot with temperature. i.e. Water's SG - 0.998 at 20C, 0.978 at 70C

Ooohh yeah, density/SG varies a lot with temperature. i.e. Water's SG - 0.998 at 20C, 0.978 at 70C

Yep, dead right. I've just plugged the figures I remember into Promash and 1.040 at 65C (out of mash) is 1.057 at 32C (after chilling). Add a bit for evaporation and there it is.

Thanks,
Len

Back