Finishing Hops Query...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just put on my last brew for a while as im goin away over xmas..
I have added some finishing hops (pellets) to my brew halfway through ferment as I was told this was better for releasing flavour/aroma for some reason I cant recall.
As it was fermenting along quite quickly thus frequent bubbling I am now wondering if alot of that aroma given off will be let out through the air-lock?
It smelt pretty standard before hops and now smells very hoppy/fruity out of the airlock....
Will it be lost??

My recipe was as follows-
23L
Coopers Pale Ale 1.7kg
Coopers Light LME 1.5kg
25g Amarillo Boiled 20mins
40g Cascade Boiled 20mins
5g Amarillo Boiled 5mins
10g Cascade Boiled 5mins
25g Amarillo + 40g Cascade Dry @ 1018
Safale S-04

Thanks guys....

Best to add once primary ferment subsides, as the aroma will get partialy scrubbed out by the CO2, as you are now experiencing.
Will still be fine though - just add a little later next time.

cheers Ross

Best to add once primary ferment subsides, as the aroma will get partialy scrubbed out by the CO2, as you are now experiencing.
Will still be fine though - just add a little later next time.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross,
I have been doing that for my last few brews but read somewhere on here that the active ferment dry-hopping helps 'extract' and mix the flavour/aroma through the 23L...
Oh well, back to the original method then...

The theory goes that you add dry hop additions when racking to secondary / keg, though I reckon you'll get plenty contribution from the 65gm you added at 1.018.
Last APA I dry-hopped secondary for a week with only 30gm Amarillo, and you sure can tell it's there.
Hope it works out for you. It's all about learning from experience, and that means making more beer!!!

Hutch.

the better way is to add it too your secondary once the fermentation has calmed

i did dry hop the primary ferment once and got a good result with alot of
aroma in the finished beer

you will get a noticable difference with 65g i only used 12g and could taste/smell the difference

good luck

I'd not worry too much about it. In fact many people don't secondary at all because of oxidation problems later on. I know of quite a few people who add their pellets to the primary near the end of fermentation, but with at least a days or so of activity left. This mixing makes sure the pellets are in good contact with the wort, and if you're worried you'll lose some aromatics with the CO2, just add more.

Oxidation is far worse for hop aroma that whatever you might lose with the CO2 if the fermentation is not quite finished. What you can also do is wait for the yeast to settle a bit then add the hops, wel and truly after fermentation is complete but still in the primary. Autolysis is far less of a problem than most people make it out to be, and you can safely leave the beer in the primary for two or three weeks with little or no autolysis of the yeast. In fact, if you give it time the yeast will clean up diacetyl, acetaldehyde and other by-products AFTER primary fermentation is complete.

MFS

I'd not worry too much about it. In fact many people don't secondary at all because of oxidation problems later on. I know of quite a few people who add their pellets to the primary near the end of fermentation, but with at least a days or so of activity left. This mixing makes sure the pellets are in good contact with the wort, and if you're worried you'll lose some aromatics with the CO2, just add more.

Oxidation is far worse for hop aroma that whatever you might lose with the CO2 if the fermentation is not quite finished. What you can also do is wait for the yeast to settle a bit then add the hops, wel and truly after fermentation is complete but still in the primary. Autolysis is far less of a problem than most people make it out to be, and you can safely leave the beer in the primary for two or three weeks with little or no autolysis of the yeast. In fact, if you give it time the yeast will clean up diacetyl, acetaldehyde and other by-products AFTER primary fermentation is complete.

MFS

Thanks for all the replies...
I dont use a secondary, my secondary is for brewing aswell! heh
I have been adding it when ferment was complete and leaving for the 'rest' so I guess ill put this one down to an experimental one.
Guess ill go back to my original method!
Only problem with the adding more bit is i have ran out of cascade hops!
Cheers

I was wondering if i should dry hop the brew i just put down. it is...

1can CPA
DME 1kg
175 crystals steeped
Amarillo 9
Goldings 5g
fuggles 5g
20 min boil for malt and all hops

If i should what one and how much should i add ?

Cheers Damo

Back