Finally... Got My Local Water Report...redlands

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando

Reaction score
After lots of phone calls and emails i finally got my local water report for the Redlands Shire.

Here are the important bits (in mg/L):

Na 24
Ca 15
Mg 4
HCO3 23 (bicarbonate)
Cl 43
SO4 30
RA 0.0

The bicarbonate level is very low compared to the 100ppm of Brisbane water (as per the BABBs nomograph).

Water chemistry is very new to me, so I'm hoping that some experienced brewers will provide advice as to this water's suitability for different beer styles, as well as the salts additions I should be including for different styles. For example, this weekend I plan to brew a 28L batch ESB of 10 SRM and 34 IBU's.

Also, if using the nomograph, it defaults to 15L water volume. Is this meant to be just the mash volume? I would have though we need to enter the batch size.

Bump...

Any suggestions or recommendations on this water profile guys?

I'm really keen to get into water profiling, and this water seems to be pretty low in just about everything.

Hey Brando,

Yep the 15L is just the mash water (enter what ever your volume is in here). This is because the nomograph is mainly concerned with correcting pH in the mash. You can add more salts (CaSO4 or CaCl) to the boil to modify the SO4/Cl ratio if you wish.

The below nomo shows what I would do for your ESB. The CaSO4 is added just to balance the Cl and then CaCO3 is added to adjust for the colour, and more importantly to get your Ca levels up which is import for a lot of factors through the brew.

Cheers
Jye

Untitled.jpg

Thanks Jye.

Wow, only 0.3g of CaSO4 - the 450g bag of the stuff is going to last a long time!

How about adding table salt (NaCl)? I see quite a few recipes have it.

Seems I need to do some more reading about the SO4/Cl ratio thing.

Also, I don't have any CaCO3 - could I use baking soda somehow instead?

Wow i just had a read of the how to brew section on water chemistry. Very helpful, i might go get my water report and look into this. Thats what i love about brewing, there is always something to learn.

Thanks Jye.

Wow, only 0.3g of CaSO4 - the 450g bag of the stuff is going to last a long time!

How about adding table salt (NaCl)? I see quite a few recipes have it.

Seems I need to do some more reading about the SO4/Cl ratio thing.

Also, I don't have any CaCO3 - could I use baking soda somehow instead?

You can use baking soda but you still need to get your Ca levels up. Adding more CaSO4 and CaCl will give you the required Ca but try and keep the SO4/Cl ratio to 1 for a malty beer.

Drew, I read that chapter a few times before everything came together. TBN also has a 4 part water show thats worth a listen.

Untitled.jpg

Latest posts

Back