Final Coopers V Lion Nathan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 2c (not accepted at tollbooths or anywhere else...)

at 1st i was very annoyed at the accc saying coopers only had 2% of the market and was basically irrelevant. after the recent tel$tra beating the accc handed out with a wet piece of string, the accc is just another 'liberalised' big business friendly waste of tax dollars... </rant>

back to coopers: their market share is growing, evidenced by the number of pubs that now sell their beers. this is good. however, they will need to keep their formulae to keep their customers, which is good for us.

MJE1980

I AGREE WITH YOU ! the shareholders in the end had the controlling vote uh.
the directors may have offered less but the share holders knew that and still voted not to sell .so in the end i guess it comes down to the beer and the brand and then the cash anyhow even that they were offered alot less buy coopers for the shares rather than what the big lion did just think when they bought them in 1985 for 15 bucks a share the 200 or so dollars in 20 years pershare is not bad .I guess its not just about the money is it .it is the history as well .

HAVING MONEY DOSN'T MEAN YOU ARE RICH IN LIFE BUT HAVING AN IDENTITY DOSE .BECAUSE WITH OUT AN IDENTITY HOW CAN ONE BE RICH.

Aaron said:
I personally think we will see the likes of InBev snatch them up in the not too distant future.
[post="97756"][/post]​

Totally Agree :excl:

From the Age today.

Optimistic brewer extends Coopers offer

TRANS-TASMAN brewer Lion Nathan has extended its troubled $420 million hostile takeover offer for Coopers Brewery until March.

In mid-December, Coopers shareholders voted to change their constitution to remove Lion Nathan's pre-emptive right to buy Coopers shares a move Lion Nathan said would effectively kill its bid.

But in late December, Lion Nathan managing director Rob Murray said Lion Nathan planned to take legal action to reverse that decision and keep the takeover bid alive.

Lion Nathan, which has received acceptances for 23,369 Coopers shares, yesterday extended the offer until March 20.

Lion Nathan originally offered Coopers' shareholders $260 a share, raising it to $310 a share in November. The latest bid values Coopers at $420 million.

Lion Nathan shares ended up 1 at $7.61

for what its worth,
every beer in the macs stable used to be a fine drop until LN got hold of it. Its gotten progressively more watery ever since. They even brew mac's gold in Auckland now.
There are exceptions, namely the seasonal brews the Shed 22 Brewery has been releasing under the macs umbrella: mac's sassy red (a very hoppy best bitter) and mac's wicked blonde (another decent drop, very lively pilsner)

I'd be concerned for coopers.

Latest posts

Back