Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day men,
I have just kegged 3 kegs of beer. All had polyclar added to the fermenter when the temp. was dropped. One keg was filtered and the other two were not. There is no difference in the clarity of the beers of each keg. What has happened? Am I wasting my time?
Cadbury

obviously :)

I prefer to not add stuff to my beer to clear it so i just pump it through the filter.

Run with what works best i say!

cheers

I now add a teaspoon of gelatine dissolved in 40ml (approx) of boiling water to the keg and fill. The beers are as bright and clear as a commercial after a couple of days and a couple of pints. No need for filters at my brewery.

Brad

I think 40ml was a mis-type, however, ......oh and the water should be hot not boiling.
Most of my beeers drop pretty bright, pretty quickly.
I just use crash chilling and gelatine. When I use a highly flocculent yeast such as 1968 they drop very bright.
They will never be as bright as filtered beer though.

K

Big call that one. I don't believe it for a second. Good brewing practices produce bright beer, filtered or not.

cheers

Browndog

I think 40ml was a mis-type, however, ......oh and the water should be hot not boiling.
Most of my beeers drop pretty bright, pretty quickly.
I just use crash chilling and gelatine. When I use a highly flocculent yeast such as 1968 they drop very bright.

K

K. I used the (approx) for a reason not a typo. A shot glass filled by a just finished boiling kettle added to an empty glass with a teaspoon of gelatine and stirred to dissolve tip into empty keg. If needed rinse glass with half a shot glass of same kettle water. Yes crash chilling also is done. But I do have a beer on tap at the moment I would like to compare to a filtered one.

Brad

ferment..... crash chill for a for a couple days on primary...... dump in keg and pump through filter into another.

I can get them clear stuffing around with additives but an hours work is worth beer like this.

CAP2Large.jpg

ferment..... crash chill for a for a couple days on primary...... dump in keg and pump through filter into another.

I can get them clear stuffing around with additives but an hours work is worth beer like this.

CAP2Large.jpg

Or you can wait a week and achieve the same thing with no effort what so ever.

Mate......... waiting a week IS effort :)

I cont like horse hoof and i hate the first few in the keg being full of shit.

I filter 50 liter batches and now more than ever its the best way FOR ME to do it.... cause i canr lift the kegs in the kegorator..... so i have to pump them into the clean keg in the freezer under pressure. Might as well have a filter in the way :)

I have made plenty clear beers before i had a filter. I juts find it more convenient now days and cant be fucked mixing crap in the beer and waiting. Primary to glass in 1 hr is a great thing.

Cheers

Edit..... live with the crap spelling..... im tired. Im noe knockind the no filter method (did ross start that?) I just fint it easier to filter with the gear i have. and after seeing some of andrew from QLD's bers........man they are clear!

Not the best pics but they do show a clear beer at night. Not having ago at anyones methods, but to say one will not be as good as the other is a stretch.

P1030314.JPG

P1030316.JPG

Mate......... waiting a week IS effort :)

I cont like horse hoof and i hate the first few in the keg being full of shit.

I filter 50 liter batches and now more than ever its the best way FOR ME to do it.... cause i canr lift the kegs in the kegorator..... so i have to pump them into the clean keg in the freezer under pressure. Might as well have a filter in the way :)

I have made plenty clear beers before i had a filter. I juts find it more convenient now days and cant be fucked mixing crap in the beer and waiting. Primary to glass in 1 hr is a great thing.

Cheers

Edit..... live with the crap spelling..... im tired. Im noe knockind the no filter method (did ross start that?) I just fint it easier to filter with the gear i have. and after seeing some of andrew from QLD's bers........man they are clear!

Horses for courses mate, I just think when someone states that you can't make a beer as bright as a filtered beer (finings or not) it need to be addressed.

cheers

Browndog

Horses for courses mate, I just think when someone states that you can't make a beer as bright as a filtered beer (finings or not) it need to be addressed.

No....I said my beers, as bright as they might be will never be as bright as (my) filtered beers.
When I filtered beers my process was similar to that now.
Chill to somewhere around 3-8 degrees, add 5gm of gelatine to 300ml 70ishC water, stir to dissolve, maybe let sit for a minute, chuck it into the beer, drop temp to just sub-zero and hold for 48 hours or more.
I then filtered the beer, the filter had a more than just noticeable amount of crap in it and the beer was crystal bright.
The beer was also stripped somewhat.
Now, these days I follow the same process but omit the filter, the beer drops bright, but not, as I noted, for my beers, as the filtered version. Of course it could be that the observed crud left in the filter is under normal circumstances totally invisible.
Its quite simple really, take an unfiltered bright beer at zero C , filter it and observe the crud, the compare it to the crud left in the filter after a filtered bright beer is filtered at zero C.
Of course it goes without saying that if you filter your beer at higher temp than you drink it at you are wasting your time.
In precis: I do not filter, I produce bright beer, the beer I produce is not as and never will be as bright as the same beer filtered and this can be proven by far better methods than one eye observing.

K

I'm in the same boat as DrK -

You might be able to make a beer as bright by waiting as by filtering... but I can't. I can get close if I use gelatin and a highly flocculent yeast, bloody close, but not quite the same. And nowhere near the same if I am using a more powdery yeast.

I have a lager at the moment that has been in the keg, racked onto gelatin, for 4-5 weeks. Its fine, nice and bright (but not quite perfectly so) ... unless I happen to pull my keggerator out from the wall to open the lid and fiddle with a connection or change a line or whatever. Then its a couple of glasses of cloudy beer and a days waiting till the damn thing runs bright again.

On the other hand - the cream ale sitting next to it made with 1272 and treated exactly the same way, is damn near diamond right and stays that way.

So I think it really depends on what yeasts you use and how you are going to treat the beer afterwards. I've been trying to "not" filter recently to see how it goes & I'm pretty sure that in my brewing practice at least... no matter what I do the unfiltered beers don't have quite the polished brightness that the filtered ones do - In certain circumstances they are pretty damn close, in others its bloody hopeless and cloudy beer makes me angry.

For the OP .. the question is whether the beer you are making looks like Tony's. If it does, then filtering is a waste of time because you are making clear beer without it.... if it doesn't, then the problem is that your filtering isn't working properly, cause that's how it should look.

TB

What do you filter with? Can you use a filter without kegging?

Hi bcp,
Most people use filters like the ones from beerbelly or craftbrewer.

I have the one from beerbelly, and whilst it's good, it doesn't have a bleed valve but i wish it did.

I keg, but i was given 6 beers from boilerboy that had been filtered prior to bottling. They were bright as hell with only a very thin layer of sediment on the bottom. But they were in my fridge for a long time before that.
So yes you can, but the priming of the bottles is going to introduce some more yeast.

I filter all pale beers now its just part of my process, yes there are other ways of getting a similar results, which involve more lagering and kegs which I havent got .

I dont filter more than 23 litres on a filter before i change it .

I have my filtering down to a fine art , some people give up too quickly if they dont get good results, it must be someting to do with their equipment or technique or preparation .

As with all brewing thier are a few things you need to know to get better results .

Its all been documented in posts on the site, people just chhoose to igorn or not try them .

one of the tricks that helped me was a bit of keg grease on the top and bottom of the filter cartridge ,I had ingnored that idea for ages until I tried it and the difference was fantastic.

Pumpy :)

I always feel people try to put too cloudy beer through the filter you have to help the filter as much as you can

Still cold chill

dump the first half pint that has heavy yeast in the tap every little thing you can

I always feel people try to put too cloudy beer through the filter you have to help the filter as much as you can

Still cold chill

dump the first half pint that has heavy yeast in the tap every little thing you can

Good on ya pumpy!

You comverted me a long while ago now (nearly 2 years I think?) and I still only bottle.

Like you I still help the filter by conditioning beer in the fridge ales usually 2 weeks and lagers 4 weeks and using gelatine to drop yeast out.
I like to treat it as if the filter was optional and a final polish and not just a way of producing faster beer.

BB

Back