Filtering Whole Hops From The Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
i don't currently have a way to filter though the tap in my brew pot.what i currently do is siphon from the top once everthing has settled from a whirlpool.

iv'e got plenty of ideas on adding a filter inside the pot before the tap just wondering what others are doing.when using whole hops or hop plugs.

i first need to get a new tap done with a length of tube protruding inside the kettle.
the simplest idea is to just attach a pot scrubber over the end.this works perfectly in my hop back.

also is their anyone else using pumps for hot wort.what are you using.
my system goes.
kettle->hop back->pump->CFC->fermentor.
also for heat exchanging the mash up it goes
mlt--->pump--->copper coil inside the hlt-->mlt.

just thought i'd try and find the best way first instead of making up some different ones and finding i could be doing it a much better way.a false bottom would even work or a normal mash type manifold or screen etc.just after some shared experience on hop leaves plugging up the works.

a boozooka screen looks like a good option.

boozooka.jpg

Not being as technically competent as some here, I last night trialled my cheap arse hop filter. (got the Idea from pics of Jayse's hopback)

Bought a 100% copper scourer from coles for 79cents. It is more or less a tube of coarse copper mesh with 2 rubberbands holding the holes at each end closed, making it into a ball.

Soaked in just boiled water for 10 mins.

End of the racking tube goes into one of the end holes. put that end into the destination bucket.

Worked perfectly. After racking into the bottling bucket the "filter" had a heap of hop leaves in it, while the beer had none.

Worked for Plugs, prob to coarse for pelletised hops.

boots
cool.i don't worry about pellets going in.but the whole hops block up the lines,taps and chiller etc so have to filter then out before they leave the kettle.
i'll be doing a similar thing as you only the scourer or screen will go into the kettle before the tap.might even just use a false bottom in the kettle.

also that hop back cost me $15 to make cheap as anything.and works like a dream.but the jar is not airtight so i have to wrap tape around the lid edge to allow the pump to suck it though from the kettle.

Jayse,

yeah I just realised your problem was hops getting into the lines - not hops being transferrred - so my idea wouldn't really work in your case.

Latest posts

Back