Fess up Time; Can't Get OG on Target

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only using graduated buckets, but using the same method that worked before. Same for the mill speed, ozito hammer drill has only one speed.

I think it's the crush now after finding two bastardizations, first the boil and then the dodgy hydrometer.

punkin said:
I don't understand the question mate. I took gravity samples at the two times i had reference points to check, preboil OG and final OG into the fermenter. I didn't do any temp corrections except cooling the samples to 20C.
I mean 1st runnings will help indicate mash efficiency to an extent), pre-boil will indicate mash and sparge efficiency so you can see where you pull up short if you have expected figures for all.
I thought by temp corrected, you were measuring hot and using a conversion calculator.

Did you measure the sg of end of sparge runnings to ensure your extracting enough sugars? I'm trying to iron out a few issues with my system and have been taking measurements wherever I can. Just don't seem to find the time to sit and nut it out.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. Got a job at work thats giving me a brain meltdown so can't focus too well.

punkin said:
15 mins in, looks to be between 5 and 5.5 to me...

attachicon.gif
mashph.jpg

I don't know whether that is good or bad.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75190-cheap-ph-meters-i-got-what-i-paid-for/

± 0.1 vs ± 0.5 with strips. Don't discount the unthinkably cheap eBay specials. :D

Ah, sorry Manticle, no i only have expected figures for preboil and og. And i am cooling the samples.

Going to try a double sparge after some offline advice from a trusted source, just to see if i can gain predictability.

I am having the same problem.
I only do BIAB .
I am very basic.
I used to get OG's of 1050 etc

now it is 1038 .

the only thing I can think of that is different is.
I got a new digital thermometer...it could be out.
I started milling with a drill. ( monster mill )
The grain doesn't look as milled as it used to.

I might reset my mill roller gap again...anyone know what that measurement is with those little paper thin mearuring thingo's .

I suspect my digital thermometer is out.

Back