Fermenting Under Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tested this method today for dropping the hops as I didn't need to add any pressure to force the hop pellets through, worked well, will it work on a fermenasarus, yes it will.
Pet bottle into a 1" BSP thread, easy and cheap.
034.JPG

Quick question. Wher do you get the barb fittings and how do you install them ? Thanks
Got the barbs, silicone washers and nuts from Keg King, to fit the barb I cut and re welded a spanner to fit through the opening of cube into a position where I wanted the barb, hold the nut in position and screw in the barb.

Got the barbs, silicone washers and nuts from Keg King, to fit the barb I cut and re welded a spanner to fit through the opening of cube into a position where I wanted the barb, hold the nut in position and screw in the barb.
Thanks for that. Going to Perth next Friday so will see if I can pick up some then.

Have been reading some good articles lately, and though I do like to capture the co2 to use to replace the vacuum being generated by the pour from the beer engine or gravity pour from the secondary a little pressure is needed. From what I have read the opposite is better aligned for producing quality beer, stirring while fermentation is in progress can reduce the fermenting time by 12 hours, reason being the dissolved co2 is being driven from the wort keeping the yeast from stressing out. Funny how the by product from the yeast's own activity can impede fermentation, though in a natural environment the co2 would be dispersing any way.
I made a faux pilsner and while looking the goods I think anyone tasting it could clearly pick the difference between a pilsner fermented at a lower temperature for a number of weeks and the faux pilsner fermented over a week with pressure applied. As home brewers I don't think time producing a good beer or lager should come into the equation.
006.JPG Might look the goods but even a novice taster would be able to pick it out in a crowd.
Let yeast do its thing.

I tried, and still do occasionally close of the pressure towards the end of the ferment, I do it in the cubes I believe there are posts with pics somewhere in this thread. Capturing the co2 is what I was after more than anything, if I use the cube on the hand pump or even just pour out of the secondary I use the captured gas to take up the vacuum from the pour.
Dissolved co2 doesn't kill yeast what it does is it stops the yeast working, could be the reason why you fell short on the gravity. The first one I did I stuffed up the beer became bright after only a few days in the secondary, didn't hit the target FG and lost the yeasty esters.

First go without a spunding valve.
001.JPG
After a bout 3 days or so in the secondary.
005.JPG
I think this was the last pint.
003.JPG
Pretty sure the posts are in this thread, and also pressure tested the cubes to 26 psi I believe it was.

tb = texasbrewer (or whatever his name was) / KK = kegking (or was it Kegland who's been really bad about spamming as of the last 6 months or so?) regardless, the point was that the Southern Yank got 'yanked'... for spamming, where as the form sponsor seems to get wet noodle lashing.

I can see where that post is missing, Texas Brewing. Keg Land have had some posts removed for dragging up old threads and posting on them. If Texas Brewing is/was advertising as a retailer and not a forum sponsor then his post would have been removed, I doubt whether he has been given the Tijuana.

Back