Fermenting Under Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a Stone and Wood recipe today, I put the dry hops in when I pitched. It's a pain to open the lid with pressure and it'll be finished in 4 or 5 days so it was way easier to chuck them in straight away.

I would like to do this in my next brew Hpal, an IPA. Have you had much success with this method of dry hop?

I've heard more and more that dry hops thrown in at the start of fermentation are the go, haven't done many hoppy beers in the pressure fermenter though, mainly lagers with no dry hops. I'd say if you're only doing one round of dry hopping then give it a crack, and you could always chuck some more in the keg later.

Ok,
Spunding valve ordered.
Santa was going to bring me a Fermentasaurus but since I've got half a dozen cornys gathering dust, though I'd make use of them instead.
For you guys using cornys, are there any mods you need to perform on the keg, or something you've discovered not already mentioned here?
My loose plan is to go cube / keg / 60 seconds O2 / pitch / dry hop (if dry hopping) / lid on / purge / wait. Hows that sound?

Just in case these aren’t on your list: shortened dip tubes; pure screen filters are helpful (I get mine from Clever Brewing).

Just in case these aren’t on your list: shortened dip tubes; pure screen filters are helpful (I get mine from Clever Brewing).

I'd say essential, rather than helpful. Transfers can be an absolute nightmare if you haven't shortened the dip tube enough, and/or your tube gets clogged with hop matter.

Ok,
Spunding valve ordered.
Santa was going to bring me a Fermentasaurus but since I've got half a dozen cornys gathering dust, though I'd make use of them instead.
For you guys using cornys, are there any mods you need to perform on the keg, or something you've discovered not already mentioned here?
My loose plan is to go cube / keg / 60 seconds O2 / pitch / dry hop (if dry hopping) / lid on / purge / wait. Hows that sound?

I’m using a kegmenter Dave, not a corny. The first thing I did was remove the dip tube and added a float and silicon tube kit from KegKing. I did this because I didn’t want to cut any off the dip tube.

Has anyone using the float tubes used a heavily krausening yeast? Do they get clogged? I myself might give them a go, but I use a lot of yeasts that throw a lot of Krause

Guys I pressure ferment in a corny shortened the dip tube by 1.5cm use a pure screen filter it works fine even when dry hopped. I’ve brew 10 beers this year in cornys under 15psi pressure with no problems with blocking during transfer

Has anyone using the float tubes used a heavily krausening yeast? Do they get clogged? I myself might give them a go, but I use a lot of yeasts that throw a lot of Krause

I’ve only used 34/70 so far Mardoo, and the Krausen is reduced due to the pressure. (I sneaked a peek at 24 hours) the hose on the float sits directly below it so may prevent much if any yeast getting in. The initial hydro sample I took after 48 hours had bugger all yeast in it.

I’ve used a variety of yeast. Blow off for 48 Hours until fermentation is at it’s peak then attach spunding valve. Working well for me

Yeah I have mate , no issues so far , tiniest bit of yeast first up . I usually squirt a little in a cup before transfer

Out of interest how long is it taking everyone else to pressure transfer to a keg . Just done one at 15.5 degrees and it took for ever

Out of interest how long is it taking everyone else to pressure transfer to a keg . Just done one at 15.5 degrees and it took for ever
Maybe I'm missing something.. how is the temperature relevant to transfer speed?
Elaborate on your transfer method. I pressure transferred into two kegs today, each took ~10min but I could've loosened the spunding valve to get it done quicker

I transfer at around 1 deg and have no problem with transfer. Transferring colder will help with time and also help with retention of co2.

I put the gas bottle on the kegmenter and set to a few psi above my serving pressure. I put a spunding valve on my corny, and set to about 5 psi. I let it transfer while I have the corny sitting on a set of scales so I can monitor the level. Takes about 10 mins. Would go quicker with a greater pressure differential.

Edit - i transfer at serving temp.

I don't cold crash so transfer at fermentation temps. usually takes 15-20mins as need to go pretty slow.

I shortened the gas dip tubes so they sit flush with the inside of the keg, this helps prevent krausen getting pushed up it prematurely and stop actual wort getting pushed up it. Can fill right to the brim.

I have just bent the liquid dip tube so it sits a bit higher up. The kegs I have been fermenting in (chinese ones with no rubber base or handles) have a domed base so the dip tube now sits about 1-2cm above the dome, most of the yeast/trub sits at the bottom of the keg at the base of the dome. Very little yeast gets into the serving keg and little volume is lost.

Biggest annoyance is the fact my cubes are 23L but can only fit about 20L in the fermenting keg. When fermenting in a plastic fermenter I usually keg the first 20L and then fill a few PET bottles with the rest. I think I need to find some smaller cubes so I dont waste so much wort when pressure fermenting, or get bigger kegmenters...

Back