Fermenting Same lager at 10c Vs 18c comparison on Brewing Radio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
droid said:
such an experiment is underway here right now, because i've run out of fridge space, about 16ltrs of a 52ltr batch is in the pantry at ambient - the rest is at 9deg temp controlled. I'm just gonna let the pantry one run its course then fridge it for a few weeks it will be interesting to see how they stack up against each other
How did the "pantry one" turn out and compared with the other?
I've been given a Thomas Cooper Australian Bitter and a can of light malt extract, however for various reasons will only be able to maintain a temp. of around 18 degrees and would hope this would turn out ok for kegging. If risky then will leave until winter months.
Cheers

I bit my tongue on this thread a month ago but now that grott has resurrected it I cant help but to observe the narcissism in some of the comments here.

Not for the sake of hot or cold fermentation and who is right, but who do you brew for... and I am amazed that some here say they brew for themseleves and themselves only, what is right for them must be right because there is no other standard than their own tastebuds, really ?

and the 29 yo rocker stuck his little dicky in too, "Unless you're putting beers into competitions you're brewing for yourself". What an absolute CROCK of a thing to say. Reminds me of lyrics of an old song by Joan Armatrading... ;)

I don't brew commercially but I do brew for the enjoyment of others and the feedback they provide to help me make better beers, whether that be for a competition or for my mates who enjoy a pint. Therefore I target the tastebuds of the masses that I know are going to drink my beer, not me, not myself, and not I.

Feel free to have some input but I'm not sure narcissism is an appropriate term and the snipey nature of your post is unwarranted.

Gelding said:
I cant help but to observe the narcissism in some of the comments here...

...and the 29 yo rocker stuck his little dicky in too,
I bet you call your dick Ben Hurr. It's a forum, where everyone is allowed to stick it in.

grott said:
How did the "pantry one" turn out and compared with the other?
I've been given a Thomas Cooper Australian Bitter and a can of light malt extract, however for various reasons will only be able to maintain a temp. of around 18 degrees and would hope this would turn out ok for kegging. If risky then will leave until winter months.
Cheers
Personally, I would not try a true lager with kit beers, I have yet to try one that has turned out any good. However, you can still turn out a pretty good pseudo lager using a Kolsch yeast which you can ferment at warmer temps.

The topic of this thread is really about pushing the limits of lager yeast. I think this is too broad, there are many lager strains and some may be more adaptable to higher temps than others. I stick with the yeast manufacturers recommended temp, seems to work every time.

I just did a Munich Helles using 'Tasty's Quick Lager Method' whereby you pitch at normal temps (12c for this one) and raise to 18c. It has turned out quite well and went from grain to glass in 3 weeks. I will continue experimenting with this method.

I tried the Tasty method a few times this year with WLP833. While they definitely had most of the characteristics of a good lager they all had acetaldehyde issues, a sign of yeast stress. This was despite pitching big starters.

My other lagers using that yeast have not had the same problem so I am back to 1-2 weeks at 10degC, bump up to 14degC for a good week once a few points short of FG. My latest batch I am skipping the slow chill and opting for straight into the keezer to save me some time. Will see how it goes......

Back