Fermenting A 25p Wort With Safale So-4

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Wadey

Reaction score
Has anybody had experience fermenting a 25P wort with SafAle SO-4?

My brewdays have been quite sporadic of late, so have been relying on US-56 & SO-4.

I currently have a 16P Porter fermenting with 2 packets worth of SO-4, and have been thinking what to do with the slurry, other than feed it to the sharks (which is what normally happens with slurry from my dried yeast adventures).

I have only once ventured up to 18P & it wasn't with this yeast.
I'm not a big fan of sipping beers, but having recently tried a fellow brewers Russian Imperial Stout, feel inspired to make say 12litres to bottle & stash away for a couple of yrs.

I'll have the yeast numbers, though they might be a bit tired.
Will this yeast handle the alcohol?
Should I arm myself with a Champagne yeast or someting similar, or stop thinking like a tightwad, dump this yeast and use a more suitable liquid (which I'm pretty sure I have anyway) down the track.

Suggestions?

Rgds,
Peter

I've gone up to 1.100 SG barley wine with Nottingham, and I have tasted a very nice Imperial Stout made with S-04. I'll see if I can get Paul, who made that beer, to answer with specifics.

Darren may have used S-04 in one of his ripper BW's.

I'd be tempted to use US-56 due to its neutral flavour and good attenuation.

tdh

Has anybody had experience fermenting a 25P wort with SafAle SO-4?
Did a 23P wort a while back with S04 and it fermented quite well with most done in first week but took 2-3 weeks to finish it off, one sachet in 12 litres of wort. Ended up 9% ABV.

Only problem was it would not bottle condition - have always had problems getting S04 to bottle condition over about 6% ABV.

Now I use T58 to bottle condition big beers and no problems at 9% ABV. S33 is also supposed to be tolerant of alcohol.

Cheers, Andrew.

ahhh... i'd heard of plato before but never actually seen anyone measure with it :p

degrees plato are equal to the percentage mass of sugar. its mroe commonly used for pro brewing.

edit: 1 plato is roughly equal to 1 brix if you use a refract.

Thanks for your replies.

Colin, can you find out if Paul bottled with the same yeast.

Andrew,
Thanks for the advice. Where did you get T58 from, BTW?

Rgds,
Peter

Latest posts

Back