Fermenter Seal Or Sanitation...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloth

Reaction score
ok, ok. Before it all starts, i just want to say I am fully aware that it doesnt matter that the airlock doesnt bubble.

I've been fermenting in the 25L pail style fermenters, not the ones with the o'ring and screw on lid. I have one fermenter in particular which never seemed to be air tight, at first I was concerned but now I'm well over it.

The last two batches done in this fermenter have become infected. I am trying to determine whether this is due to the lack of sufficient seal or from sanitation methods. I sanitise all my fermenters the same way so I dont see why it should be this. I would like to acheive a good seal on this fermenter as to detemine if this fixes the problem. Does anybody know any hints or handy advice to help seal this type of fermenter?

Also, if it is due to an infection, is it possible for the little nasties to be hanging around in the fermenter waiting for the next batch??? I sanitise with hot orthophosphoric acid solution and make sure everything is quite clean beforehand.

I would really like to find a solution to this problem before doing another batch in this fermenter so any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Sloth.

ok, ok. Before it all starts, i just want to say I am fully aware that it doesnt matter that the airlock doesnt bubble.

I've been fermenting in the 25L pail style fermenters, not the ones with the o'ring and screw on lid. I have one fermenter in particular which never seemed to be air tight, at first I was concerned but now I'm well over it.

The last two batches done in this fermenter have become infected. I am trying to determine whether this is due to the lack of sufficient seal or from sanitation methods. I sanitise all my fermenters the same way so I dont see why it should be this. I would like to acheive a good seal on this fermenter as to detemine if this fixes the problem. Does anybody know any hints or handy advice to help seal this type of fermenter?

Also, if it is due to an infection, is it possible for the little nasties to be hanging around in the fermenter waiting for the next batch??? I sanitise with hot orthophosphoric acid solution and make sure everything is quite clean beforehand.

I would really like to find a solution to this problem before doing another batch in this fermenter so any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Sloth.

Most infections happen from the tap or the tap thread.
You may do this already but the tap needs to be stripped and the thread scrubbed with a tooth brush or similar .
It's amazing the amount of gunk in the thread.

Batz

You may do this already but the tap needs to be stripped and the thread scrubbed with a tooth brush or similar .
It's amazing the amount of gunk in the thread.

Batz

Thanks Batz, I've already looked at the tap and the thread, both of which look pretty clean. that said i'm using one of those white taps with the twist thingy on the end and i have no idea how to take this apart to clean it.

Is it actually possible totake these taps apart or is it best to soak it or replace it??

Sloth.

Cheers Stuster

Will give that a go before i do my next batch as well.

Still interested to hear if anybody know any good methods for getting that seal.

Sloth,

Trying to identify where an infection is coming from is not easy. There are so many variables. Definitely the tap is suspect.

So long as your fermenter is keeping the bugs out, you should be fine. Those pesky tiny flies that hang around fruit bowls are a menace.

The grooves in the lid need doing, usually the toothbrush bristles are not long enough, a nail brush may work. You have been giving your airlock a soak? The grommet has been removed and washed? When you pick up the bucket, you are not getting some of the airlock solution sucking back in?

This may not help you now, but maybe with a future fermenter. Some brewers I know say that the plastic develops a memory and you should always seal the lid on in the same position. They do this by making a texta mark on the lid and body and lining them up. They also make sure that the airlock is aligned over the top of the tap. That way you always know where the airlock is in relation to the fermenter.

Great advice. I'd hop to Bunnings and buy another tap (Under $2), replace the first one and ensure the seating is cleaned and sanitised.

Then, wash well, soak the whole shebang in Napisan. Leave for a day, rinse well (twice), then use one-shot and sanitise. Leave for 20mins and hit it again w/one shot. Leave for 20mins and bed the brew.

If that doesn't work, throw it and use another fermentor.

Cheers - Mike

Maybe pull the seal out of the lid and check behing there as well ?
Whenever I put the lid on the fermenter I lude the o-ring with some oli/grease to make sure it tightens the whole way. You can also check how level the top of the fermentor is by placing it open end down on the table and see if there are any large variations in the lip height.

Another couple of options.

I dont use a lid on mine just two peices of gladwrap over the top, with the o ring over the top to hold the gladwrap down, i also have an imersion heater going under all this so there is no way im even close to sealing, during the fermentation proccess and assuming you are not temperture swining greatly there is very very tiny chance of something actully finding its way through into the brew, as the brew is producing carbon dioxide and expelling it, not inhaling it.

I would say do not worry about the lid or the seal and look at other sources as already mentioned

Maybe pull the seal out of the lid and check behind there as well ?

Sloth was originally asking about a 25 litre pail style, but if there is anyone out there that does not remove the rubber seal from a screwtop lid, you are asking for problems. Use the end of a teaspoon and pop the rubber out. If it has been in there for some time, it may be welded in with old wort. Give it a soak in some napisan, and then pop the seal out and give everything a good soak, wash and rinse. Don't leave it soaking for days in napisan, it perishes the rubber.

If the seal is cracked and perished, shout yourself a new one. Take it down to your HBS to make sure you get the exact right size.

Years ago I had a fermenter that I brewed an infected brew in,I soaked with strong bleach,replaced the tap etc. Still had three infected brews so I bought a new one.
Problem was solved,I don't know where it was comimg from but I couldn't kill it.
Only time in 23 years of brewing I have had this.

Batz

Years ago I had a fermenter that I brewed an infected brew in,I soaked with strong bleach,replaced the tap etc. Still had three infected brews so I bought a new one.

Fermenter is currently soaking, tap has been replaced, but i fear another infection. I might try another batch before giving it the boot but we'll see how paranoid i get first.

Sloth.

Fermenter is currently soaking, tap has been replaced, but i fear another infection. I might try another batch before giving it the boot but we'll see how paranoid i get first.

Dont forget, it might not be your fermenter. Check your pre fermenter processes as well.

If your taps and seals (where appropriate) are cleaned or replaced, all should be good with the fermenter.

ATOMT

[/quote]

Check your pre fermenter processes as well.

[/quote]

my process is religiously the same not matter which fermenter I use so im guessing it was the tap :angry:

Anyway, thanks for the help guys :beer:

Sloth.

my process is religiously the same not matter which fermenter I use so im guessing it was the tap :angry:

No need to get angry! :blink: Its just what I would do.......RELIGIOUS or not.

Anyway, Im not suggesting it is you. It may not be something you do. It may be a change to the physical environment ......a change to the plumbing.

It was only a suggestion anyway....take it or leave it! <_<

Think you may have taken that the wrong way ATOMT, think Sloth is getting angry at the stoopid tap ? :unsure:

Sorry bout that ATOMT, i understand how that could be taken wrong. I was indeed venting in the direction of the tap, as i appreciate any constructive criticism.

Cheers, Sloth. :beer:

No need to get angry! :blink: Its just what I would do.......RELIGIOUS or not.

Anyway, Im not suggesting it is you. It may not be something you do. It may be a change to the physical environment ......a change to the plumbing.

It was only a suggestion anyway....take it or leave it! <_<

I bet you end up buying a new fermenter
Just my guess
Is someone getting angry? :huh:

Batz

Issue may not be with your fermenter but your yeast prep instead??
Do you prepare a yeast starter that is activley bubbling away before your pitch it?

The only infection ever I had was basically due to me pitching an under done yeast starter.

Back