Fermenter In Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to hang mine Tempmate probe just in the air but the temp fluccuated too much
So I changed to strapping to the fermenter under some styrofoam, similar probs

Then I came up with strapping it to a Coopers PET bottle filled with water and insulated with camping mat, works well :)
med_gallery_7556_294_174016.jpg

Looks like a good setup. I've only just acquired an upright freezer capable of holding two fermenters. With one fermenter I simply bluetac the sensor to its side. However yesterday I put down two 23L brews plus a small 5L carboy of cider and didn't know what to do. Although all brews were put down on the same day, they all have different levels of activity 24hrs later due to different yeast pitched/volume ratios.

At the moment I've got the sensor hanging at mid fridge with a small quantity of bluetac around it to reduce temperature cycles.
How long have you used the extra water bottle trick. Does it accurately keep the air/fermentor temperatures under control?

heatpad under each fermenter and a heat belt?

No heat pads just the heat belt hanging down. It is ample to bring up to a temperature, hardly ever comes on, in fact.

They are bits of ply to help strengthen the shelves before I upgraded my shelves.

med_gallery_7556_294_276144.jpg

I used to hang mine Tempmate probe just in the air but the temp fluccuated too much
So I changed to strapping to the fermenter under some styrofoam, similar probs

Then I came up with strapping it to a Coopers PET bottle filled with water and insulated with camping mat, works well :)
med_gallery_7556_294_174016.jpg

hi barley belly,

sorry :icon_offtopic: , but could you tell me the literage of your ferment fridge, its exactly what i'm looking for.

cheers
matt

hi barley belly,

sorry :icon_offtopic: , but could you tell me the literage of your ferment fridge, its exactly what i'm looking for.

cheers
matt

It's a 331 litre Kelvinator Trimline Fridge Only

Picked it up off Ebay for $50

Way off topic here, but Barley Belly, how did you go about making your reinforced fridge shelves? Was that just a quick trip down to the big green shed?

I've got a 522L fermenting fridge that I picked up for $60 that can fit two fermenters on each shelf, side-by-side -- I'm just fairly certain that they're not designed to hold that much weight, is all.

Looks for all the world like security door/window thingamajigs. Genius. I'll be keeping an eye out for some of that laying about the place.

Way off topic here, but Barley Belly, how did you go about making your reinforced fridge shelves? Was that just a quick trip down to the big green shed?

I've got a 522L fermenting fridge that I picked up for $60 that can fit two fermenters on each shelf, side-by-side -- I'm just fairly certain that they're not designed to hold that much weight, is all.

The idea came to me when I first got the fridge and inquired at a window place to get some "Security Screens" made, like the one they have on houses, the same size as the shelves. They quoted me $140 for the two :eek:

Couldn't justify that money, so I stuck with the plywood I used originally.

Then one day I was at a local aluminium supplier for something else unrelated and priced the stuff I needed to make the shelves myself and walked out with 5 metres of the channel and 8 corner joiners for only $35. Luckily for me the channel fits snugly in my shelf groove. The mesh had to be bought in a large sheet and was a little expensive so I used the mesh from an old screen door I had lying around.

Just a matter of cutting the channel with a hacksaw in a mitre box, cut mesh to size, put all together using corners, drill and rivet. Two shelves made at a quarter of the original quoted price.

Would've been blinger with white mesh, but I LOVE them all the same :wub:

Back