Fermentation Temperature Vs Fridgemate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocker1986 said:
Yeah, I personally don't subscribe much to the idea of sticking the probe in a jug of water. For starters it's a much smaller volume of liquid, so it will change temperature faster, secondly, it's not fermenting and thereby not creating any heat, as the yeast will do in the actual wort. It's basically comparing apples and oranges from my viewpoint.

I actually measured my beer temp sample with a Hanna thermistor thermometer today when I took a reading and it read about 1 degree lower than the STC was reading.. so I'm gonna chuck a 5 litre flask of water in there once it's bottled with the STC probe in it set to whatever, and see if it reads different on the thermometer.. might need a calibration. :unsure:
Bit off topic but I think its worth mentioning that the centre of the fermentor is going to be a few (from memory)degrees warmer than the wort closest to the fermentor wall.
I haven't tried measuring the centre of my 60L ferm but there was a good article in one of the BYO mags that pretty much proved the heat difference from centre to wall.
Some sort of wireless floating temp probe would be good to try. Or one that records for a week and then shows a graph of what temps did what and when.

That's a good point actually. Although when I measured the temp with a different thermometer on previous readings it's come out basically exactly what the STC was reading, so one of them is out by a bit. The Hanna measured 100.7C in boiling water, although I know that can be affected by surrounding environment.

At the end of the day it can't be too bad.. the beers taste bloody good. :lol:

Latest posts

Back