Fermentation Stall

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canaussie

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I hope someone can help me. I put down my first batch on Sunday and it fermented about 2 days and then stopped dead. It is an IPA full volume boil with 3kg Light DME and 500g Crystal steeped. Cooled to 23degrees and pitched rehydrated Brew Cellars English Ale yeast w/ nutrient. Fermenting vessel started bubbling late on Sunday, bubbled once every 5 seconds the next day and then stopped on Tuesday afternoon. Temperature in the fermenting area under the stairs has been 15C in morning and 20C in the afternoon. What has happened? Is it getting too cold? How do I get it going again. Original Gravity was 1050 and I took a reading last night and it is down to 1030. Should go down further right? Help! :eek:

Could also be that it is still fermenting and your airlock has just stopped for whatever reason. The airlock is not a fool-proof sign of fermentation activity.

The above advice is sound though. 15 degrees is on the cool side of things. Search the board for temp control methods (there's plenty of info around the place) for your overnight temps. Maybe give your fermenter a bit of a swirl to rouse some yeast back into solution - make sure not to cause any splashing.

[EDIT: Er, there was above advice a minute ago. Someone advised that your temps might be a bit low and you should get it warmed up. Sounds like you daytime temps are alright to me though]

Thanks bum,

I will look at some of the temp control methods. I have a heater belt that I picked up at a yard sale. The belt heats up to about 40C (I took a reading with my thermometer) but I am not sure how long to leave it on at any given point of time. Don't want to heat my beer up too much. Any calcs out there for how much a heating belt warms a 23ltr batch in a plastic vessel at outdoor temps of 15C? Would be nice if I can leave it on for the night or set it on a timer.

I was actually up your way last week, Brisbane anyway, and I was a little suprised how cold it was once the sun went down. So much so I had to move in from the beergarden to the main bar..
If theres one thing Ive grafted from trawling over the info here, temp control is right up there with cleanliness when it comes getting consistency from your brewing. I recon unless you've got some form of control - either timed heating or cooling, you'll allways be pushing shit uphill and getting mixed results.
Its not difficult or expensive to run a heating belt through a timer and save yourself another headache.

Trust me, Im no expert by any stretch, but I figure if I can at least keep my gear clean and my yeast happy, thats half the battle won right there!

cheers

As per posts above, your gravity may still be dropping.

I would get your heat pad going, maybe start with having it on for around 2 hours, then check to see the temperature and go from there. Being colder at night you may need to give it a little more heat during the night.

It will take a fair bit of energy to heat a batch of wort/beer by the 5 ish degrees you need.

Gentle swirl of the fermentor also will help awaken any yeasties that have fallen out due to cold (if that is the case).

Your gravity may still be dropping and it may be fine though...

Get yourself one of those cheap power timers, with a schedule so you can set it to come on for 15 minutes every hour, and plug your heat belt into that.

That sort of thing should keep the wort at a nice temperature, without breaking the bank.

I agree with Raven though, you're going to initially need the heat belt on constantly for a couple of hours to get 20+ litres of wort to raise by 5 degrees.

Thanks Dave. I will get a timer and program the outcome. Might ruin this batch a little but should help the next one. Didn't see the issue coming. Thought the yeast would be happy within a range of temps but didn't know that they don't like change once they are settled in. Woops!

Being too cold won't ruin it, you'll be fine. However, being too hot will. Make sure you keep an eagle eye on that heat belt.

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to help me with my problem. I have bought the timer and will implement this action and see how it goes. So nice that you have taken the time. I will keep perfecting and hopefully get some nice beers pouring out over the next couple of months. Once again, very much appreciated. Very happy to meet this way. Might catch up with y'all at one of the swaps eh!?

It's a great site this one, lots of helpful advice from fellow brewers.

Welcome aboard!!! :icon_cheers:

The latest scoop. I have hooked up the heating belt. It comes on for 15 minutes of every hour from 5pm to 8am and she be bubbling again. Woohoo. Thanks again. Maintaining approximately 20C +-1C. Apparently good enough for the yeasties. I am much happier and in turn so is the misses. I think I will still invest in a fridgemate though. Saw it on another thread. Better to not have to eagle eye your brew. Thanks to all.

Back