Fermentation seems stopped at SG1.02

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobban

Reaction score
I'm brewing a cascade pale ale biab and post boil sg was 1.043.

When I started fermentation I only had pretty old packets of safale 05. The expiry was november but I always had them fridged.

Anyways, the fermentation was a bit slow to take off. It was a full day before I saw any bubblng and the floculation on top was slow so during this time I put in another packet of the same vintage. It got started and was only strong for a few days and by day 4 and 5 it was very weak. I gave it a few shaked to try wake it up but not much happening. It's day six now so I took some sg reading and it's a tick above 1.02. I have fermenting fridge and have had the brew steady on about 19degC.

Not sure what do now but hope it takes off again somehow...

If anyone has a feel for this situation and can recommend something that would be great.

Warm it up a bit more and agitate.

Have you made this before? How low did it finish?

What are you using to measure gravity?

What was the mash temp?

1 pack of 05 or more? What volume wort? Dry yeast sprinkled or rehydrated?

Bubbling means jack if you use a plastic barrel type fermenter and is not a reliable sign of fermentation. One day lag time is not extreme, nor is 6 day ferment using unhealthy yeast/low pitch rate.

Did you oxygenate or aerate the wort prior to pitching or just after pitching?

Nothing bad will happen to the brew while you try and work it out. There are various steps but info on the above would be a good start to supply more helpful advice.

Pokey said:
Warm it up a bit more and agitate.

Have you made this before? How low did it finish?
How many degreess would you recommend for warming it up?

I have made it before but it was one of my first AG brews and I cannot remember too much of the detail but it was a nice beer to drink. I am pretty sure it was in the normal finishing range, but I think this was befre I had the fermentation fridge.

manticle said:

What was the mash temp?

1 pack of 05 or more? What volume wort? Dry yeast sprinkled or rehydrated?

Bubbling means jack if you use a plastic barrel type fermenter and is not a reliable sign of fermentation. One day lag time is not extreme, nor is 6 day ferment using unhealthy yeast/low pitch rate.

Did you oxygenate or aerate the wort prior to pitching or just after pitching?

Nothing bad will happen to the brew while you try and work it out. There are various steps but info on the above would be a good start to supply more helpful advice.
refractometer
69degC roughly, and 75degC mash out
1 pack 05 initially but added another after nothing for 12 hours(in the past I have always had floculation/fermentation in ~6hours) volume 23L (a litre or two trub waste). Yeast was sprinkled.
Am using plastic type fermentor. Not sure why you say bubbling not important..
Aerate the wort prior to pitching. However in the past I used the big spoon and swirled the water for this just before pitching. This time I used a new plastic aerator on the end of my siphon which basically just spashes the wort as you siphon it into the fermentor. I could see if bubbling/foaming nicely as I did this so thought it was working well so I skipped ths normal stirring before pitching. It was a 4-6 hours since doing this for my fermentation fridge to cool the wort down form ~30degC to ~20degC when I pitched.

Appreciate your help :)

Refractometer is your problem, alcohol throws off their readings. Use your hydro.

Did you use a correction calculator for the refractometer?
If you let the temp rise to 20 or 21 it may help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobban said:
refractometer
69degC roughly, and 75degC mash out
Yep, need to use a correction for alcohol if using a refractometer ... based on your 1.043 OG, a 1.020 SG would be a touch over 1.006 corrected.

I take an OG reading just before pitching yeast to avoid any temperature effects.

Donske said:
Refractometer is your problem, alcohol throws off their readings. Use your hydro.

Pokey said:
Did you use a correction calculator for the refractometer?
If you let the temp rise to 20 or 21 it may help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MaltyHops said:
Yep, need to use a correction for alcohol if using a refractometer ... based on your 1.043 OG, a 1.020 SG would be a touch over 1.006 corrected.

I take an OG reading just before pitching yeast to avoid any temperature effects.
Thank you this is a noob mistake! I only just bought the refractometer and did not realise the alcohol affects it...

I did the correction using this page http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml and that pretty much agrees with you MaltyHops. I also just took a sample with my hydrometer and it shows 1.011 so looks like the fermentation has pretty much ended whic is a relief. I guess it has just gone a bit faster than my other fermentations especially considering the slow start.

I have another brew in a cube and I am keen to get this in the fermenting. Do you think it is ok now to put this batch into a keg and so I can start my next fermentation or I should I let it sit a little longer? I guess I should probably lager it anyway ot help clear it up.

bobban said:
I have another brew in a cube and I am keen to get this in the fermenting. Do you think it is ok now to put this batch into a keg and so I can start my next fermentation or I should I let it sit a little longer? I guess I should probably lager it anyway ot help clear it up.
If you keep it in the fermenter in the fridge for a few more days with the fridge set down to a few C's above freezing, that should help the yeast to drop and clear the beer before kegging (this is not lagering tho)

Back