Fermentation Chambers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked and mine is a 332 Trimline.

It was more expensive than I wanted and I had to wait 'til it came up, but I have never looked back. I used to use my 550L or whatever it is (now keg fridge) and it turned the freezer into a fantastic dedicated mould incubator during warm weather.

Damn. Got me by 1 :angry:

Photo added. Ghetto temp control units

021.jpg
Have a pair of bar fridges, non workers with the compressors etc removed, upside down, and regulate the temp by placing frozen bottles of water in with the fermenter,

After a bit of experience have learnt how to keep temp between 18-21degC.

I use a fridge that I scored from one of the local Girl Guide groups. They were chucking it out because they had been given a newer one. I come across this via a friend of a friend. As you can see this one fits 2 30lt FVs with not trouble at all.

Just keep your ears open and put the word out that you are on the lookout and sooner or later you will come across one at the right price... :D

I use a westinghouse 210L (I think that it is the size).
If I used my space more wisely I could probably get two fermenters in there but at this stage only one.

FYI One of the pics shows bottles in there, this is not how I store my bottles.

I got it for about $100 off ebay.

EDIT: The controller is my internet enabled controller which allows me to monitor and control the fridge from my phone/computer/whatever. It is arduino based.

IMG_20120120_203146.jpg

IMG_20120120_204256.jpg

I use a westinghouse 210L (I think that it is the size).
If I used my space more wisely I could probably get two fermenters in there but at this stage only one.

FYI One of the pics shows bottles in there, this is not how I store my bottles.

I got it for about $100 off ebay.

EDIT: The controller is my internet enabled controller which allows me to monitor and control the fridge from my phone/computer/whatever. It is arduino based.

Hi Edak

Im Joe, brand new to this forum. I have just recieved a 30lt Conical tank that I will make into a fermenter. I see that you have a temp control on your fridge. I am interested in this and would appreciate any information in regard to it.

I am in the fortunate possition to have access to a mate of mine that worked for Lion Nathan as a chemist and brewer. He is helping me out with my setup and is a wealth of knowledge. The setup needs temp control and maybe your unit is the one!

Cheers

Joe

Hi Edak

Im Joe, brand new to this forum. I have just recieved a 30lt Conical tank that I will make into a fermenter. I see that you have a temp control on your fridge. I am interested in this and would appreciate any information in regard to it.

I am in the fortunate possition to have access to a mate of mine that worked for Lion Nathan as a chemist and brewer. He is helping me out with my setup and is a wealth of knowledge. The setup needs temp control and maybe your unit is the one!

Cheers

Joe

Hello Joe,

The controller is a self designed and built one, based on the Arduino development platform. If you are new to the game I would recommend that you buy a fridgemate or similar because they are cheaper and easy (like at over 28's clubs :p ) and not over-engineered to send data to a web server for monitoring and control purposes.

edak,
come on mate over engineering brew gear is what home brewers do!!
you know we love it!
MB

I am edak and I am an over-engineer-holic....

I DO LOVE IT!!!!

I thought i'd illustrate the under engineered....old crate from work lined with'styrene.Heat from a reptile basking lamp regulated by a room thermo.Cooled by a bar fridge bolted on the back.

I just bought a $15 reject shop weather station so i can monitor the temp in case the globe blows.

The sensor is on the shelf in the pic.

IMG_2793R.jpg

IMG_2792R.jpg

IMG_2795R.jpg

The AIPA is a bit hazy cos i forgot the irish moss but with the massive hit of cascade i'm not to worried.

Rich_4646

I thought i'd illustrate the under engineered....old crate from work lined with'styrene.Heat from a reptile basking lamp regulated by a room thermo.Cooled by a bar fridge bolted on the back.

I just bought a $15 reject shop weather station so i can monitor the temp in case the globe blows.

The sensor is on the shelf in the pic.

View attachment 57011

View attachment 57010

View attachment 57012

The AIPA is a bit hazy cos i forgot the irish moss but with the massive hit of cascade i'm not to worried.

Rich_4646

I think this might belong in the Ghetto Thread :D
Im sure it works very well though

Are they standalone fridges, or fridge/freezers that you've ripped the freezers out of?

340l fridge with a coopers kit fermenter on top, then 2 30l bunnings water drums. Temp controller on top. $50 eBay fridge, $13 eBay controller.
312D7D14-3BE9-4B54-8194-EB79B32DE1D3-8927-00000687388B6ABE.jpg

Hey Ratchie,

do you have your temp sensors sitting down inside thermowells in your wort? How deep do you have them sitting? do you notice a big swing in temps?

Cheers Ad

Latest posts

Back