Ferment in a Kettle (FIAK)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hot break. 50 years brewing always hydrate Safale 04. Jug transfer to 13 L and 9 L FV's - cooled in the kitchen sink. Fermented in unheated garage but in the kitchen for the cold months.

Last edited:
That’s what I was thinking and why I asked if the wort was being re circulated through the grain bed to filter it out. I haven’t brewed BIAB since about 1994 and always re circulate these days.

You were doing BIAB in 1994?

You were doing BIAB in 1994?
Yes I was doing BIAB in the eighties and up to about 1994 when I left the UK. Actually I recall brewing all grain BIAB again around 2000-2001 when I returned but only a couple times as I wasn’t living near the LHBS in St Albans Hertfordshire that stocked grain and hops and where I had bought my first BIAB Electrim boiler and grain bag.

As it happens I was having a clear out last weekend and came across my old BIAB setup.
20201016_102007.jpg20201016_102026.jpg20201016_102455.jpg

The Bucket of Death! I haven't seen one of those for a long time.
Yep, didn’t they get that name after a bit of good old fashion AHB scaremongering? The element is exactly the same as those commonly used in plastic kitchen kettles but put one in a larger brewing kettle and you are somehow at risk of electrocution. :confused:

Yep, didn’t they get that name after a bit of good old fashion AHB scaremongering? The element is exactly the same as those commonly used in plastic kitchen kettles but put one in a larger brewing kettle and you are somehow at risk of electrocution. :confused:
I had one for sparge water in the mid 90's. It came in very handy when we had no mains gas for two weeks in 1998 after the Longford gas plant blew up. It was the only way we had hot water to wash with.

Yes I was doing BIAB in the eighties and up to about 1994 when I left the UK. Actually I recall brewing all grain BIAB again around 2000-2001 when I returned but only a couple times as I wasn’t living near the LHBS in St Albans Hertfordshire that stocked grain and hops and where I had bought my first BIAB Electrim boiler and grain bag.
Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing the photos. I had no idea BIAB had been around so long. I only discovered BIAB about a 2006? through this forum.

I had one for sparge water in the mid 90's. It came in very handy when we had no mains gas for two weeks in 1998 after the Longford gas plant blew up. It was the only way we had hot water to wash with.
Did you buy yours in Australia? I understood they were not available here.

I used mine as a make shift shower for a while when living in a caravan and renovating a derelict farm. We set it up in an old stable with no roof and took showers with rain and snow coming down on us through the rafters.

Thats awesome. Thanks for sharing the photos. I had no idea BIAB had been around so long. I only discovered BIAB about a 2006? through this forum.
Yep BIAB has been around for as long as homebrewing. I’m led to believe that it wasn’t as common here in AU and virtually unheard of by most AHB members in the early days of the forum so when they figured it out they thought they had invented a whole new brewing method and coined the phrase BIAB.

Back