Feedback wanted on my first brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback and help on my first brew...

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/80843-starting-from-scratch-what-equipment-do-i-need/

After completing my first beer I have some idea of what went wrong and how to fix it, but would like some advice as to weather I'm on the right path.

I made Dr Smurto's Golden Ale

1. My strike water was at 70 degrees to achieve mash temperature of 66 degrees. Instead of getting the water to correct temperature in my mash tun and adding the grain, I added the water to the grain. I lost 10 degrees instantly and in the first 10 minutes it dipped below 60 degrees but eventually held that temperature after I added some more hot water.

2. I used bought spring water from the shops last minute. I have since discovered you can by the filtered water from brew shops for $5 per 19L. I used this for everything.

3. I boiled off 3L more than I anticipated. I had trouble understanding beersmith so just poorly guessed in the end.

4. Yeast. I simply opened the packet and sprinkled it over once I had cooled the wort to 20 degrees. I sensed that was the wrong thing to do? My fermentation was over in a matter of days but it didn't hit the FG of 1.009. It stopped at around 1.015 and after a stir and using the heat belt I wasn't able to get it to continue. I left it for 12 days after fermenting and it didn't move so I bottled it. Used 100g of dextrose to bulk prime the 19L left over after racking.

I've since discovered my thermostat is not suitable for fridges so that explains why it didn't work. I'm going to buy another one so I can keep my fridge it at a constant 18 degrees.

As for the final product, it smells fantastic but the taste is commercial beer sweet. I'm a little sceptical about the FG being too high and possibly getting exploding bottles so I'll keep a close eye on them.

I'm brewing again this Saturday. Hopefully I've learnt enough from the first attempt but I'd love to hear anything else I'm potentially doing wrong so I can improve on my next beer.

Ciderman said:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/80843-starting-from-scratch-what-equipment-do-i-need/

After completing my first beer I have some idea of what went wrong and how to fix it, but would like some advice as to weather I'm on the right path.

1. My strike water was at 70 degrees to achieve mash temperature of 66 degrees. Instead of getting the water to correct temperature in my mash tun and adding the grain, I added the water to the grain. I lost 10 degrees instantly and in the first 10 minutes it dipped below 60 degrees but eventually held that temperature after I added some more hot water.

70 degrees seems to low to obtain a mash temp of 66.

How much grain and how much water ?

Your higher mash temp will account for the poor attenuation (and higher FG), though it seems like you inadvertently did a step mash of sorts.

Chucking the yeast in is fine. I now rehydrate according to the instructions on the side of the yeast packet, but I've not had an issue either way. I just like the shorter ferment time.

gap said:
70 degrees seems to low to obtain a mash temp of 66.

How much grain and how much water ?
Yeah I have since discovered it needed to be higher but I was just listening to beersmith.

5.05kg grain. I used 30L water all up.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Your higher mash temp will account for the poor attenuation (and higher FG), though it seems like you inadvertently did a step mash of sorts.

Chucking the yeast in is fine. I now rehydrate according to the instructions on the side of the yeast packet, but I've not had an issue either way. I just like the shorter ferment time.
So because I didn't hit the correct mash temp, (60 degrees instead of 66 degrees) I essentially didn't extract enough sugar for the yeast? My OG was 4 points higher than expected (1.044 instead of 1.040) which adds to the confusion.

Ciderman said:

You can either tick the "Adjust Temp for Equipment" checkbox in Beersmith, or pre-heat everything with boiling water. A lot of your heat would have gone into the esky from the initial strike water, so adding some boiling water before can help this. Adding the grain to the water seems to form a blanket over the water so does work well. Main thing is that you don't have any dough balls/dead spots in corners of the esky - so this helps with that.

2. I used bought spring water from the shops last minute. I have since discovered you can by the filtered water from brew shops for $5 per 19L. I used this for everything.

There are lots of topics about water here that you can read through. Chlorine = bad, but the majority of the things in tap water are fine or even good for beer.

3. I boiled off 3L more than I anticipated. I had trouble understanding beersmith so just poorly guessed in the end.

4. Yeast. I simply opened the packet and sprinkled it over once I had cooled the wort to 20 degrees. I sensed that was the wrong thing to do? My fermentation was over in a matter of days but it didn't hit the FG of 1.009. It stopped at around 1.015 and after a stir and using the heat belt I wasn't able to get it to continue. I left it for 12 days after fermenting and it didn't move so I bottled it. Used 100g of dextrose to bulk prime the 19L left over after racking.

I've since discovered my thermostat is not suitable for fridges so that explains why it didn't work. I'm going to buy another one so I can keep my fridge it at a constant 18 degrees.

As for the final product, it smells fantastic but the taste is commercial beer sweet. I'm a little sceptical about the FG being too high and possibly getting exploding bottles so I'll keep a close eye on them.

I'm brewing again this Saturday. Hopefully I've learnt enough from the first attempt but I'd love to hear anything else I'm potentially doing wrong so I can improve on my next beer.
Massive congrats... sounds like you made beer. :)

What was your starting gravity? And what happened with the temp control, was it too cool or just not controlling well?

Ciderman said:
So because I didn't hit the correct mash temp, (60 degrees instead of 66 degrees) I essentially didn't extract enough sugar for the yeast? My OG was 4 points higher than expected (1.044 instead of 1.040) which adds to the confusion.
That does sound under-attenuated, particularly for US-05 (looks to be 65% AA). I have had 85%AA on US-05 pretty frequently.

How old was the yeast?

Adr_0 said:
Massive congrats... sounds like you made beer. :)

What was your starting gravity? And what happened with the temp control, was it too cool or just not controlling well?
SG was 1.044. My thermostat didn't end up working so I just wrapped it up in a towel. Temperature was too low.

Adr_0 said:
That does sound under-attenuated, particularly for US-05 (looks to be 65% AA). I have had 85%AA on US-05 pretty frequently.

How old was the yeast?
Bought from craft brewer, so pretty new I thought.

So in theory, if I mash at correct temperature I should avoid all problems?

Unless OP didn't adjust for temp when taking the reading.

Lower mash temp should have been more 'edible' sugaz for the yeast.

Higher mash temp has less.

A higher SG will account for a little, but not all of it.

Do you know what? Hitting your numbers on the first brew is not the be all and end all. It took me at least 4 brews with brewmate to start hitting my numbers. Just be happy that you made something drinkable rather than paying for crap beer. Know your equipment and you will go far. Once you know your equipment you can't then learn how to use your ingredients properly.

The first time I used US05 and tried to rehydrate it it didn't work but when I sprinkled another packet on it and it worked and made great beer. So overall your yeast did it's job and ate the sugars. Once you start learning about how to treat your yeast you can then start to worry about how you can get it to work properly and attenuate how you want it to. Give your beer a couple more weeks and it will taste totally different.

Welcome to a really steep learning curve. After three or four brews you will be wondering what you were worrying about.

supertonio said:
Do you know what? Hitting your numbers on the first brew is not the be all and end all. It took me at least 4 brews with brewmate to start hitting my numbers. Just be happy that you made something drinkable rather than paying for crap beer. Know your equipment and you will go far. Once you know your equipment you can't then learn how to use your ingredients properly.

The first time I used US05 and tried to rehydrate it it didn't work but when I sprinkled another packet on it and it worked and made great beer. So overall your yeast did it's job and ate the sugars. Once you start learning about how to treat your yeast you can then start to worry about how you can get it to work properly and attenuate how you want it to. Give your beer a couple more weeks and it will taste totally different.

Welcome to a really steep learning curve. After three or four brews you will be wondering what you were worrying about.
What he/she said. :)

I reckon if you stick to the basics you'll always end up with good drinkable beers.
1) Sterilize everything
2) good mill of the grain - I had a few issues when it wasn't milled fine enough.
3) strike temp within a few degrees of what recipe calls for will usually work fine.
4) ferment temps - with in a few degrees - us05 16 to 20 - I don't have a fridge for fermenting and get around that with heat pads and frozen bottles of water.
5) I re-use my yeast - I use an online yeast calculator to get the exact amount needed. Hasn't failed me yet.
or if I use a fresh pack of US05 I just chuck it in. no dicking around with it. You probably wont taste the difference .
6) tap water

worry about all the other complicated stuff later.

I would also recommend being patient and allowing the beer to really finish fermenting. I see a lot of folks rush the process to get a brew done quickly. Allowing more time to ferment and finish and also bottle conditioning for a long enough period of time is key to a good finished product. The devil is in the detail when it comes to how and why, but it is well worth the attention that you give it as good beers can be won and lost in those final few steps from adding yeast to drinking beer.

supertonio said:
I don't know weather it's drinkable yet but I'm hopeful that it will be!

I found my first brew was average but once I got better at brewing the beer obviously got better.

The thing I like about brewing is once you have mastered something you can then focus on something else and keep learning.

Once you have got your brew day nailed you'll then start worrying about making your staters,your own stir plate ,recipes,hop schedules, grain mill width, when to add candi sugar, do I need a blowoff tube.....lol

The list is quite literally endless.

I'm not sure that you can have a 'black' 'pale' ale...

I won't touch a recipe that gets 46 points through as I'm sure it's very tasty. My only advice would be if you are going to use that hop schedule, I would assume only 75% efficiency or maybe 80% max - definitely not 85%. So you should lift the amount of each of the malts, or at least the pale and Munich.

This means assuming 80%, maybe go:

6kg JW pale malt
600g Weyermann Munich I
400g Weyermann Caraamber
400g JW choc

And hopefully you hit the 1070-1074 range.

As for mash temp, I would probably go for 65-66°C. Make sure you pre-heat your mash tun if you are going to use a strike temp of 70°C again, otherwise go 72-73°C and see how you go...

Adr_0 said:
I'm not sure that you can have a 'black' 'pale' ale...

I won't touch a recipe that gets 46 points through as I'm sure it's very tasty. My only advice would be if you are going to use that hop schedule, I would assume only 75% efficiency or maybe 80% max - definitely not 85%. So you should lift the amount of each of the malts, or at least the pale and Munich.

This means assuming 80%, maybe go:

6kg JW pale malt
600g Weyermann Munich I
400g Weyermann Caraamber
400g JW choc

And hopefully you hit the 1070-1074 range.

As for mash temp, I would probably go for 65-66°C. Make sure you pre-heat your mash tun if you are going to use a strike temp of 70°C again, otherwise go 72-73°C and see how you go...
Thanks will be giving it a go in a few hours!

Latest posts

Back