Feedback On Turkey Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
Anyone used this Burner - and can provide feedback on it's performance? Needs to be able to boil enough for full batch BIAB. An aquaintance is in the market to step up to AG, and is looking at the burner route. Will be using a gas bottle for fuel, and an appropriate regulator.

outdoorburner01.jpg

Here's the blurb:
This burner has has a rating of around 40 Mj per hour. This burner is quite adjustable, you can run it flat out and turn it right down to a tiny flame without turning your pot black. It will heat up and boil vigourosly 50 litres no problem. Same for a single batch, it will do 23 litres perfectly. It puts out about as much heat as the 23 jet mongolian burner and about twice as much as our 4 ring burners.

Anyone used this Burner - and can provide feedback on it's performance? Needs to be able to boil enough for full batch BIAB. An aquaintance is in the market to step up to AG, and is looking at the burner route. Will be using a gas bottle for fuel, and an appropriate regulator.

outdoorburner01.jpg

Here's the blurb:
This burner has has a rating of around 40 Mj per hour. This burner is quite adjustable, you can run it flat out and turn it right down to a tiny flame without turning your pot black. It will heat up and boil vigourosly 50 litres no problem. Same for a single batch, it will do 23 litres perfectly. It puts out about as much heat as the 23 jet mongolian burner and about twice as much as our 4 ring burners.

Bloke they are known as NASA burners. This thread from a few years ago gives some interesting points/ comparisons.
Cheers
Doug

Ah so THIS is a NASA burner ? I read ages ago that they are really, really LOUD.

Thanks for the link, I'll do a bit of reading now I know the common term.

It's a great unit, a mate has been using one for years. By full batch I presume you mean 23L? These burners will boil that in no time at all.

wayne form beer belly did an ace post on burner comparisons, with sound files to go with it. nfi where it is though. somehwre in gear and equipment.

wayne form beer belly did an ace post on burner comparisons, with sound files to go with it. nfi where it is though. somehwre in gear and equipment.

I saw that, wish he did the Mongolians.

What I don't get though is 40Mj is no where near a Mongolian. Perhaps the Mongolian test was on LPG? And regulated down in flow?

1 Joule is 0.000948 BTU
40Mj (correct my conversion if wrong) is 40,000,000 * .000948 = 37,920 BTU

I'm looking at getting a Natural Gas Mongolian from the States ($21 to $40 depending on # of jets). I will probably need wider than normal gas piping installed to get the proper gas flow and that is 240,000 BTU rated! or about 253Mj of heat energy output (potential).

Of course I'll be getting that 120 Litre stockpot I always wanted or larger for it :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

It's a great unit, a mate has been using one for years. By full batch I presume you mean 23L? These burners will boil that in no time at all.

Yep, 23 litres at the end of the batch. Being BIAB, it would need to start the boil at more than that to allow for evaporation. Regardless, now I know the name of this burner, there's ton of info here to read, and I'm certain that it's up for the job.

Is it at all possible to get away with a standard BBQ regulator ? He's wanting to do it on the cheap, and is just waiting on confirmation to see if he's scored a kettle for free. From what I have read about HP burners the answer's probably no.

It's in my interest for him to get this going, so I can borrow it during the equipment downtime ! Cheap ******* that I am :p

because the adjustment on the actual device gets too bloody hot? from what I hear/read at least.

I'm looking at getting a Natural Gas Mongolian from the States ($21 to $40 depending on # of jets).

Maybe try here before you go Overseas?? Haven't priced one but I think Tony got a 10 Jet one relatively cheap

Was lookin at gettin a 10 jet myself but have pimped my Nat Gas BBQ Wok burner with good results for the single batches I do

http://www.auscrown.com/commjetbrn.php

I don't get how they rate the nasa at 40mj/hr??? Have a look a tthe 3 and 4 ring burners on auscrown for ratings, my 3 ring is rated at 32mj/hr. Or is it just the nasa is only 40 with a low presserure reg, but they can run on the high pressure reg making them more powerful?

QldKev

The NASA is a great burner, an adjustable reg is a must though.
Also a good idea to do a good burn in a well ventilated area to burn off the paint,
then dismantle it and clean off all the leftover melted paint.
Works a treat after that.
Cheers
Nige

Or is it just the nasa is only 40 with a low presserure reg, but they can run on the high pressure reg making them more powerful?

QldKev

Ummm...yeah...with high pressure reg they are like a blow torch....
People complain here about the noise. When the boil is achieved (not long even with a double brew) once turned down it is very quiet.
Not a problem at all unless you are brewing in the middle of Sydney at midnight.

Bud

Theres two classes of mongolians or should we call them their proper name as cast iron jet burners. Ones made in China and ones made in Taiwan. Which is Auscrowns :D or i'll have to wait until start of business tomorrow
to ring and find out :p

I picked up 2 of these burners last time i was at grain and grape.

Put them to use on the Brewday/Beerswap in vic i think myself and almost everybody their can say if you dont watch these things they will boil the hell out of whatever you want them too.

They provide a massive amount of heat and are easily adjustable on the high pressure reg. I reckon these burners are great but at the same time others reckon there mongolians, italian spirals and four ring burners are great. So go with whatever option you tink suits you and your brew setup and you wont be dissapointed in any of these burners out there on the market.

Kleiny

Latest posts

Back