Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy401

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently had a pint of matilda bay brewry's 'fat yak' pale ale, and was wondering if anyone knows a simple way to create something kind of like this, i havnt done a boil before or used hops or even different yeast, so i want to have a go with some hops and new yeast this time, but dont think ill add any grains (or any other more complex things) just yet (still not sure what they do and how to do it) so if anyone has any easy and cheap ways of replicating this please post!

cheers! :icon_cheers:

Here a hop schedule for it I found using the search.

For 22L, you'd want say, 2.5kg of LDME and 0.5kg of Dextrose.

Put 0.5kg of the LDME in a big pot with 5L of water and boil the hops below for their respective times. Do the rest as you would a Kit and Kilo.

"0" minute hops are put in when you turn the heat off - give them 5 minutes before you strain the liquid into your fermenter through something that will catch the hops.

5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (45 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (45 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin[11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs US05 Yeast-Ale

If that seems like a lot of money to spend on hops, ditch the 0 minutes hops and dry hop with both cascade and NS.

Thanks Nick!

Thats ust what im looking for, just a quick question - since 0 minutes is at the end i assume '10 minutes' is 10 minutes from the end of the boil not the start? and you say to use 2.5kg LDME at first then say put .5kg of the LDME in the boil - so do you mean in total use 7.5kg LDME.
also, do you get the water boiling before you put the stuff in or after? and dry hopping is using a hop bag isnt it?

thanks again for the quick reply :icon_cheers:

Here a hop schedule for it I found using the search.

For 22L, you'd want say, 2.5kg of LDME and 0.5kg of Dextrose.

Put 0.5kg of the LDME in a big pot with 5L of water and boil the hops below for their respective times. Do the rest as you would a Kit and Kilo.

"0" minute hops are put in when you turn the heat off - give them 5 minutes before you strain the liquid into your fermenter through something that will catch the hops.

5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (45 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (45 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin[11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs US05 Yeast-Ale

If that seems like a lot of money to spend on hops, ditch the 0 minutes hops and dry hop with both cascade and NS.

Add a few litres of water into a pot, turn on and start to heat. At some stage before boil add 0.5 kg of LDME and stir well to dissolve. Top up to 5 litres of water. This will give you the right SG to add the hops. At boil, turn the heat down to a rolling boil and start the clock.

Do a 60 minute boil and add the hops at the time stated which is the time from the end. ie 45 mins hops is added 45 mins from the end of the boil, or 15 mins after the start (60 mins).

The 0 hops are added at the 60 min mark when the heat is turned off.

0.5 kg of LDME in the boil and add the rest of the malt at the end of 60 mins ( 2.5kg for a total of 3kg of LDME)

Dry hopping is adding the hops to the fermentor after a couple of days fermenting.

Hope this helps.

:beerbang:

Add a few litres of water into a pot, turn on and start to heat. At some stage before boil add 0.5 kg of LDME and stir well to dissolve. Top up to 5 litres of water. This will give you the right SG to add the hops. At boil, turn the heat down to a rolling boil and start the clock.

Do a 60 minute boil and add the hops at the time stated which is the time from the end. ie 45 mins hops is added 45 mins from the end of the boil, or 15 mins after the start (60 mins).

The 0 hops are added at the 60 min mark when the heat is turned off.

0.5 kg of LDME in the boil and add the rest of the malt at the end of 60 mins ( 2.5kg for a total of 3kg of LDME)

Dry hopping is adding the hops to the fermentor after a couple of days fermenting.

Hope this helps.

Was looking to make an extract version of one of these myself, based on the 'Cracka Fat Pale Ale' in the recipeDB.

Just wondering, if using LME (rather than DME), how much should I add to a boil of 5 litres?

Just wondering, if using LME (rather than DME), how much should I add to a boil of 5 litres?

Have you had a look at Ianh's wonderful Kit & Extract spreadsheet? I find it pretty useful for this kind of jiggery-pokery.

Have a shufty at this thread and download the xl file (the most up to date one is near the end somewhere).

You can play around with quantities to your heart's content.

BTW - Why LME rather than DME? (this isn't a trick question, i've been using it myself and i'm not yet sure it's worth the extra $ so i'd like to hear your reasoning)

Have you had a look at Ianh's wonderful Kit & Extract spreadsheet? I find it pretty useful for this kind of jiggery-pokery.

Have a shufty at this thread and download the xl file (the most up to date one is near the end somewhere).

You can play around with quantities to your heart's content.

BTW - Why LME rather than DME? (this isn't a trick question, i've been using it myself and i'm not yet sure it's worth the extra $ so i'd like to hear your reasoning)

No particular reason, I've only just started extract brewing, and the extract recipe in the recipeDB says to use LME.

I had wondered if it wouldn't be cheaper just to use DME, might try it on the next brew & see how it goes.

Howdy all,

I'm just about to try and make this myself but I am wondering,

why is it important to have the wort at a good SG for hop addition? can't you just bung all the malt in then add hops at the right time? :ph34r:

TIA, HC

Its best to have it at around 1.040 as this is the optimum gravity to extract the good stuff from the hops. You can boil higher gravity but you will need more hops to get the same out come.

Might be worth while having a read of this section out of John Palmers - How to Brew

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

The Cracka Fat Pale Ale recipeDB uses less hops than NickJD reccommended. I can't tell you how much to use. I made the Cracka Fat and loved it! It was reasonably 'malty', the next I made I added 0.5kg of dark dry malt extract and it was too malty. Next time I will give it a go with two tins of light malt extract goo. I reckon more hops for aroma would be better too (i.e. late in the boil or dry hopping in the fermenter). It is a good simple recipe.

Its best to have it at around 1.040 as this is the optimum gravity to extract the good stuff from the hops. You can boil higher gravity but you will need more hops to get the same out come.

Might be worth while having a read of this section out of John Palmers - How to Brew

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

Thanks for for that, didn't realise that you could get more for less if you know what I mean!!

The Cracka Fat Pale Ale recipeDB uses less hops than NickJD reccommended. I can't tell you how much to use. I made the Cracka Fat and loved it! It was reasonably 'malty', the next I made I added 0.5kg of dark dry malt extract and it was too malty. Next time I will give it a go with two tins of light malt extract goo. I reckon more hops for aroma would be better too (i.e. late in the boil or dry hopping in the fermenter). It is a good simple recipe.

I like simple and this looks like a good way to start on the extract side of brewing for me. :drinks: will let you all know how it turns out

Back