Fastest Yeast Ever

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfdu

Reaction score
ok. so i've used wb6, kit yeasts, us05 and s04. nothing has EVER slammed through the sugars like t-58.
my usual fallback is two coopers yeast sachets to create a 1 litre starter. it's almost as nuts as the wheat-beer yeast.
but t-58? OMFG.

the brew is also my first honey.

1 x coopers lager
500g ldme
800g plain honey
t-58 yeast @ 500ml starter

(no hops????? *reaches for paper bag. breathe.breathe.breathe*)

23 l. OG = 1054, 7/9/09. pitched and kept at 18 degrees. aiming for clove and banana notes to combine with the honey.

9/9/09, gravity = 1014.

down to 1014 in two days? that's nuts!

[edit - reduce hyperventilating stammering to sustainable levels]

I've got polar opposite, mate.

Pitched in a Wyeast 1968 English Ale about this time last night, and only just starting to get krausen forming.

Should still be a taaaaaaasty brew.

Love to the family

1968 sure isnt teh fastest but as a yeast it smacks it everytime. you wait to see how clear the beer is straight outta primary.

never used t58, thats a belgium isnt it?

Is it true that honey takes longer to ferment? Every time I've used honey in a brew my shed sounds like a warzone after about a month. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sugar in honey is more complex and takes longer to ferment. If that is the case then t-58 sounds like a good yeast to use.

yes the t-58 is a belgian ale yeast.

i grabbed it because of the promise of banana and clove overtones, but if it's a fact that honey needs a ballsy yeast, then i'd say i picked right.
no sign that honey is hard to ferment - it got to 1014 in 32 hours or something. i'll expect 1010>1012 tomorrow when i chill it.

the aroma of the yeast was awsome - sweet spicy and clean unlinke the smell of any other yeast i've used (ie. old socks).

from the fermentis page :
Safbrew T-58 Known for its high ester, spicy and peppery flavour profile, able to tolerate high alcohol conditions (up to 11.5% v/v). Available in 11.5g sachets.
http://www.fermentis.com/FO/pdf/HB/EN/Safbrew_T-58_HB.pdf

damn. 11.5% alc ? i've seriously underestimated this yeast.
i'm going to save some slurry and do a nutball spotswood pale ale or something??!!!! spotsood black v.3 aiming for 9%+, maybe?

Latest posts

Back