fast ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticksy

Reaction score
hey all. so I put down this brew on the 5th.

1x coopers real ale can
Kit yeast
20g cascade hops
1kg brew enhancer 2

boil hops 10g at 15 10g at 5min.

three days later the ferment has stopped after being quite feirce for the first two days and gravity has dropped fron OG 1.040 to 1.008.

being a new brewer I havent seen a ferment this fast. should I leave it for a while?

I was planning on letting it sit in the fermenter for at least two weeks but im not sure what to do now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeah leave it for at least a week. Give the yeast some time to clean up its stuff. I agree though, that is damn fast. What temp did you go with?

sticksy said:
hey all. so I put down this brew on the 5th.

1x coopers real ale can
Kit yeast
20g cascade hops
1kg brew enhancer 2

boil hops 10g at 15 10g at 5min.

three days later the ferment has stopped after being quite feirce for the first two days and gravity has dropped fron OG 1.040 to 1.008.

being a new brewer I havent seen a ferment this fast. should I leave it for a while?

I was planning on letting it sit in the fermenter for at least two weeks but im not sure what to do now.

Hey mate,

Fast fermentations like the one you're talking about are quite common. I find the airlock in my brews stops bubbling after about 3 days. What temperature were you fermenting at?

I find it's best to leave the beer in the fermenter for at least 3 weeks, regardless of how quick the primarly ferment is. This allows for the beer to clean up the diacetyl produced during the fermentation. There is no benefit bottling it sooner. The bottling stage is to provide carbonation, so bottling it sooner only carbonates it sooner but can result in off flavours due to ther presence of diacetyl which gives a nasty butter or butterscotch flavour.

Double thread merged.

The advice to leave it a bit to condition is good. If it's finished though a week should do - no need for three unless you can keep it cold for two of those weeks.

yeah no chance of keeping it any cooler than ambient temp. aircon is on alot due to newborn bub so temp is stable at about 23-25 degrees.

does the coopers kit yeast do a decent job of clean up? I still reckon ill leave it for two weeks as im going to clean the yeast and do a 20L batch of "simple" cider (first go) in a couple of 10l buckets I have and do a comparison between sweetening with splenda or lactose.

just need to figure out when i need to add the sweeteners, during ferment or at bottling......

Latest posts

Back