Extract - What Grain Options To Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l7edwards

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just about to make an order of grain to craftbrewer and am unsure about whether to get mixed or unmixed grains? What does this mean? Milled grain is cracked grain? (which i want)

My recipe is an extract LC bright ale based on Tony's recipe (cheers!), any advice on it would be great,
20L, 25.5 - IBUs

2.5kg LDME
150g Wheat
100g Carapils
B-Saaz and Cascade to bitter, flavour and aroma
Us-05

Hi All,
Just about to make an order of grain to craftbrewer and am unsure about whether to get mixed or unmixed grains? What does this mean? Milled grain is cracked grain? (which i want)

My recipe is an extract LC bright ale based on Tony's recipe (cheers!), any advice on it would be great,
20L, 25.5 - IBUs

2.5kg LDME
150g Wheat
100g Carapils
B-Saaz and Cascade to bitter, flavour and aroma
Us-05
Milled is cracked.
If you are only ordering the recipe amounts i.e. 150g and 100g, then you are fine to get them mixed. Mixed just means they will put all your order together.
If you are getting a bit extra then be aware that if they are already cracked then you will need to use them relatively soon.

Just with that recipe, wheat requires a mash. You can't really just steep it.
I would leave it out for an extract recipe, or else replace it with wheat extract .
It will probably be there mainly for head retention at that amount so you could up the carapils slightly.

If you are getting a bit extra then be aware that if they are already cracked then you will need to use them relatively soon.

On that.. How long do they keep and how best to keep them ?

WHich of these grains can be steeped ? I know the crystal can but whatabout the black, munich, chocolate and viena ? From what I have read here I figure they need mashing (though I hope I am wrong)..

WHich of these grains can be steeped ? I know the crystal can but whatabout the black, munich, chocolate and viena ? From what I have read here I figure they need mashing (though I hope I am wrong)..

Black malt and choc malt can be steeped, the others do need to be mashed. The Craftbrewer website has all that info with each grain :)

Black malt and choc malt can be steeped, the others do need to be mashed. The Craftbrewer website has all that info with each grain :)

Thanks for that.. That is what I figured.. I have been buying grains from Ross at Craftbrewer and using his website to guide me.. I was just interested in what my local HBS could do for me.. I actually meant to put this link in - http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/category41_1.htm

So if I was to buy munich grain from here, I would have to mash it..

I guess what I am getting at is it is a little misleading when they have 150gm packs of vienna and say that it is a single batch quantity.. Who would mash 150gms ?

Back