Extract To All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_dazza27

Reaction score
Been trying to decide what to brew for my first all grain batch. I really want to make something that will show the step up in techniques.

I've been making mostly extract american pale ales with a few specialty grains but now i've got myself a 50L kettle i'm keen to have a go at BIAB.

So pretty much what i want to know is, will i easily notice the difference if i just replace the malt extract i've been using for some base malt grain or is it best to try a more complex grain bill ie. using something like golden promise, some carared, carahell etc etc

Thanks in advance

Better to keep it simple - use a pale base malt and build with any spec malts for colour and flavour. You will need to work out amount:gravity as dried malt extract does not replace (pound for pound, 1:1 etc) grain and vise versa.

Best of luck with the first. If you're not comfortable with developing your own recipe, go for a tried and true from the DB. Smurto's golden, fatz irish red (if you're happy to brew irish) chappos aussie rice etc depending on preferred style.

Latest posts

Back